Merida O'nine + XX Direct Mount S2 - Problem

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

rafaelblu

by rafaelblu

Hey guys, I'm facing a new problem here.

Building a new bike (Merida O'nine) with BB30 Crankset XX 26-39 with FD Direct Mount S2 39 ... (that supose to be the right "combo").

S2 39.JPG

Problem: FD is too close of crankset, it wasn't able to install at all. After checking many technical documents and manuals, still confirmed the information about the right "S2 model for merida O'nine". But checking pictures of original XX model FD is different:

What model is it.jpg

Question: Does someone know which model is this on original bike? I didn't find any info or picture.

Thanks for help.

PS: Bike with RR (450g each - 7,430g).

PICT2482.JPG
www.weightweenies.com.br - Brazil Website

by Weenie

miceden

by miceden

Couldnt say which model is which... but... is the drive side of your crankset maybe not to close into the frame, if you spaced it out a bit would the FD not work?

rafaelblu

by rafaelblu

miceden wrote:Couldnt say which model is which... but... is the drive side of your crankset maybe not to close into the frame, if you spaced it out a bit would the FD not work?

No, frame is 73mm bb and use 0 spacers, bb30 164 q-factor ... perfectly installed. FD should be at least 1cm far from actual position.

I found two other cases in same situation in France and South Africa today with O'nine 2010. But guy from SA said the right model is the S3 Spec (pivot) and he is probably right. Now, after this info I found:
Spec 3 direct mount has the same mounting configuration as Shimano direct mount front derailleurs.

So, I guess Spec 3 is the "original" from Merida O'nine XX model. And all websites on internet even Sram page says:

*A Sample of Frames using Direct Mount FD
•Cannondale Flash - S2 Bottom Pull
•Specialized Epic - S1 Bottom Pull
•Merida 0.Nine - S2 Top Pull
•Scott Genius - S3 Bottom Pull
•Pivot - S3 Top Pull

But I have all S2 models here and all look exact the same instead the space for outer chainring.

:thumbup: :beerchug: I think problem is solved. Just need to ask for a picture of S3 model to match with Merida picture.
www.weightweenies.com.br - Brazil Website

draystex

by draystex

I just went through the exact same problem building up a 0.Nine Team D frame with a XX BB30 39-26 crank. I bought the S2 Top Pull as most sources suggested, but this is the wrong spec as you have found out. The correct spec is the S3 Top Pull. I have installed it and it works perfectly. You will also need the spacer that should have come with the frame, it goes on the front bolt as the front mount on the S3 is offset from the rear mount. My only guess is that the S2 Top Pull is for the standard BSA spec'd frame but i don't know this for sure.

mtbcam

by mtbcam

The required front derailleur is the S3. Surprisingly Merida's site calls out for an S2, which is actually incorrect.

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

ok it must be S2. of course.

depending on holes of mounting. S1 or S3 won't fit.

how can you say S3 ?

i have both in my hand S2 and S3 and there are differences in holes and spacers

however i do not know which is required here , and i'm talking with my experience of 2 Flash frames , 26 and 29 inches, that needed different versions

but S2 are in 2 version , for bottom or top pull both : for 39 or 42 T ... ( so 4 tyoes in total )

which one is your ?

and which big chainring do you have ?
http://eliflap.it/

by Weenie

mtbiker

by mtbiker

Hi

Here has been a lot of talk about BB30 and I'm going to by Merida ninety-six but I don't know can I put Pressfit BB30 to there. I assume that o-nine and ninety-six have same bottom braket area.

Thanks.