full ceramic bearings - safe for MTB XC wheelset?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Gran Sport

by Gran Sport

ciao weight watchers

thinking about upgrading the 6902 & 6803 steel bearings on a custom Podium MMX wheelset build to full ceramic rather than purchase the usual zero hybrid ceramic

this is the best advice i've had so far:

"I'm not a fan of the full ceramics. The races are very easy to break during install. In addition, they are not good at handling shock. I would never use full ceramic bearings on a mountain bike application. Even in certain road hubs, there can be problems with race failures if heavy power transfer distorts the hub body."

can anyone relate or offer an opinion?

the price difference between hybrid & full ceramic makes me wince - but are they also likely to fail more easily too?

i'm 68kg, wheelset + hubs + bearing should have an easy life mostly on single track + fireroads & seriously doubt if my pigeon legs could distort a hub - even when sprinting

(just incase) this is not another thread about ceramic bearings bad/costly vs. steel bearings good/affordable - its hybrid ceramic vs full ceramic

grazie

(edit for typo)
Last edited by Gran Sport on Sat May 22, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Bloody hell 170kg :shock: :shock: :shock: :!: :?:
That would be really hard to find something withstanding that weight :mrgreen:

Gran Sport

by Gran Sport

:oops: typo sorry - corrected it to 68kg :mrgreen:

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

With hybrid you get 90% of the benefit with 100% reliability at way lower cost.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

Gran Sport

by Gran Sport

i'm happily using zero hybrid ceramic bearings on 1 wheelset + 3 bottom brackets, 2 other wheelsets here have DT190 hubs which i think are hybrid ceramic also

for this race day only Podium MMX wheelset build i need the bearings to roll better + and also be lighter - (e.g) zero hybrid ceramics's are very close to the same weight of the steel bearings i'm replacing

...anyone out there using fully ceramic bearings? ...whats better ZrO2 Ceramic or Si3N4 Ceramic?

was looking at these: http://fairwheelbikes.com/hsc-full-cera ... pe=product

cheers
Attachments
.<br />HSC full ceramic 6902 Weight: 10.7g<br />HSC full ceramic 6803 Weight: 5.7g
HSC full ceramic 6902 Weight: 10.7g
HSC full ceramic 6803 Weight: 5.7g
Enduro Zero hybrid ceramic 6902 Weight: 14g
Enduro Zero hybrid ceramic 6902 Weight: 14g
DT Swiss stainless steel 6902 Weight: 14.5g
DT Swiss stainless steel 6902 Weight: 14.5g

scooter916

by scooter916

we pressed full ceramic boca bearings in a customers TT bike on a HED 3 carbon trispoke road wheel, one ride the inner bearing in the freehub body had shattered, we thought we might have fubar'd the install so we ordered 4 new bearings and shipped them to HED for them to install, 200 miles later, shattered bearings. totally worthless junk, they sounded horrible when weighted. they spin great on a truing stand but they roll like crap. save your money and run stainless or hybrids.

Gran Sport

by Gran Sport

thanks, great post :thumbup:

thats exactly what i was concerned about - delicate & brittle races that easily shatter on install + if not fear of failure after every jolt :cry:

best

ROULEUR23

by ROULEUR23

Hi

full are way too weak and brittle. I had some in my road bike. They are okay on a track as there is very little banging and vibrating. I bought a set of hybrids from CK at www.ck-ceramics.com on the 'roulements' page. Had them nearly two years and they are great. I have a CK bottom bracket in my mountain bike and that spins like a top. Looking to put them in my Fulcrum Red metals but can't find the sizes anyplace.

Cheers

archicoolaurel

by archicoolaurel

For MTB use, be careful :

I recently put ceramic bearings on my Hollowgram Crankset and after 2-3 rides (sand, mud ...) the bearings were dead.

For Road use, it's OK

(sorry for my english, i'm french)

Gran Sport

by Gran Sport

merci, thanks everyone :thumbup:

archicoolaurel did you install your ZrO2 bearings without seals? (like in the scales photos)

are the more expensive Si3N4 full ceramic bearings no better than ZrO2 - are they just as problematic?

...anyone have an okay experience with full ceramic bearings on a XC/Race bike?

thanks

evenfasterson

by evenfasterson

Use top quality stainless bearings.

They roll better than most ceramic bearings on the market when loaded anyway. Ceramics that do roll faster when loaded cost an arm and a leg.

So buy stainless and pedal harder. :thumbup:

Gran Sport

by Gran Sport

[quote="Gran Sport"]
(just incase) this is not another thread about ceramic bearings bad/costly vs. steel bearings good/affordable - its hybrid ceramic vs fully ceamic :thumbup:

Gran Sport

by Gran Sport

here's some more advice i received today (thanks)

"I have used full ceramics in hubs and had decent success, but not fantastic. The bearings are very sensitive to impact and can shatter from some bumps, particularly when leaned over in a corner and hitting a bump. That bit of angular load can shatter the races."

really gone off the idea of full ceramic bearings for MTB :mrgreen:

...apparently theres a whole new generation of ceramic hybrids on the way that's pretty amazing (hopefully affordable too)

thanks for contributing to this thread peeps :thumbup:

best.

archicoolaurel

by archicoolaurel

Gran Sport wrote:merci, thanks everyone :thumbup:

archicoolaurel did you install your ZrO2 bearings without seals? (like in the scales photos)

are the more expensive Si3N4 full ceramic bearings no better than ZrO2 - are they just as problematic?

...anyone have an okay experience with full ceramic bearings on a XC/Race bike?

thanks

Yes, but the bearings on the scale have seal on one side. I put this side at the exterior to keep away the balls from mud, sand, ...

Gran Sport

by Gran Sport

a quote from ebay seller irvineman (aka VXB ball bearings) who stocks & sells thousands of different bearings inc hybrid & full ceramic...

"I would not use these for a mountain bike Full ceramic a very fragile..I would go with a Hybrid bearing"

...looks like a negative! - is anyone happily riding/racing XC with full ceramic bearings in their hubs?