Dura-ace or Sram X.0

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

sdudley

by sdudley

Hi Guys and Gals
Got a bit of an issue that no one seems to be able to help me out with...

My priorities have changed recently and I dont do that much mountain-biking anymore. I want to keep my mountain bike for the occassions I do do it however and want to turn it into a scooter destroyer.

i see that a few bikes here have Dura-ace cassettes and rear derailers. What I want to do is take one or two rings off the front and put a 9 ( or 10) speed dura ace system on the back - ie make my bike a 9 or 10 speed. Can I do this with my existing rear hub (Hugi 240) and can I keep my existing shifters (Sram 8-speed)-if I cant keep these, what shifters are compatible with Dura ace(preferably twist grip) - weight is everything.

Also, am I gonna have issues with my chain falling off if I start taking rings of the front - if so waht can I do??

Cheers!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madhatter

by madhatter

You might want to contact Ty on the MTBR.com save some weight forum. Not sure what his exact setup is but be runs something similar to what you just described on his Klein to cruise the mean streets of London... :wink:

bsavery

by bsavery

sdudley wrote:Hi Guys and Gals
Got a bit of an issue that no one seems to be able to help me out with...

My priorities have changed recently and I dont do that much mountain-biking anymore. I want to keep my mountain bike for the occassions I do do it however and want to turn it into a scooter destroyer.

i see that a few bikes here have Dura-ace cassettes and rear derailers. What I want to do is take one or two rings off the front and put a 9 ( or 10) speed dura ace system on the back - ie make my bike a 9 or 10 speed. Can I do this with my existing rear hub (Hugi 240) and can I keep my existing shifters (Sram 8-speed)-if I cant keep these, what shifters are compatible with Dura ace(preferably twist grip) - weight is everything.

Also, am I gonna have issues with my chain falling off if I start taking rings of the front - if so waht can I do??

Cheers!

You have a couple options. I've set up a bike for my friend with 1x9. First of all the front. 1x9 is a great option. If you're just trying to save weight 2x9 doesnt really save much. You should figure out the chainline issues so you don't lose the chain using either a singlespeed crank or spacers on the chainring. Or get an Ngear jumpstop chain holder. For the rear you'll need I'm guessing what you want to run is a dura ace 9 speed. can't really use a 10 speed rear if you have only 9 on your shifter.

You can use those hubs, just get a dura ace 9 speed rear and use the SRAM rocket twist shifters that work with shimano derailleurs.