Giant XTC 29er 1 progress: now for the wheelset...

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

velocat

by velocat

so far I have shaved .5 lb from the bike
handlebars: factory (cut to fit my shoulders) to easton ec70
241g-131g= 111g saved

KCNC bone stem
TOTAL WEIGHT SAVINGS: 160g-108g=52g

esigrips replacing big nasty factory grips: a long time fav of mine.
102g-56g=46g

removed shimano SLX gear indicators:
saved 20 grams.

more pics on my blog:
http://highflange.com/2010/04/16/giant-xtc-29er-gets-some-weight-weenie-love/

I have some eggbeater 4ti pedals coming in. Very excited. I'll be moving my candy SL to the monstercross bike (another project thread) Will be weighing these and seeing the savings after this.

the bike looks great, the next step are some wheels.

So far I'm thinking about building something up with chris king hubs.
front needs a 15mm axle QR or an adaptor.
What could I do to make it lightweight? what is, generally, considered "lightweight" (without a serious durability compromise) for a 29'er wheelset?

I weigh 146 lbs.
http://www.MuddySherpa.comBike Reviews/Ride Reports

by Weenie

seppkuss

by seppkuss

Go with Stan's. They are light durable and can be built up with a lot of hub choices. I would avoid Mavic if I were you as their wheels are not that light for their price and their hubs were absolutely terrible in my experience.
Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

velocat

by velocat

those stans rims look very very nice.

Now, I must decide on hubs. I'm quite partial to the king hubs, on one hand because they are available in many colours, and I'd like to make my bicycle a bit ugly by adding on bits of strange colors.
what to do on a GIANT XTC... hmmm. pink? green?

industry nine are available as hubs or complete wheels. is it worth it to get the full wheel from them or just their hubs. the idea of 3 degrees of idle travel before "catching" seems rather nice. they are a bit on the pricey side, though.

I'm also thinking about examining the crank bros wheelsets for the 29'er. They are supposed to have cobalts in 29 diameter now?

hmm. If I could only get my santa cruz blur LT sold that would go a long way to getting these wheels built more quickly!

scalpel15

by scalpel15

Nice looking build I will be following it. I'm riding for a giant team this year and will be building up an xtc 29er 1, once it shows up. I will be swapping over my xtr kit to it and have ordered some dtswiss/stans wheels. Should be a decent weight when I'm done. I will be using the Giant components, the top end ones look to be a decent weight and I get a nice deal on them.

Frame Giant Alloy XTC 29er
Fork FOX 32 F29 RL-100 w/15QR Thru Axle and tapered steerer, 100mm trave
Crank Shimano XTR 2x9 38/28 specilties TA
Stem Giant carbon stem
Seatpost giant carbon
Handlebar Giant Carbon flat
Brakes Shimano XTR
Shifter Shimano XTR
FD Shimano Durace with Spleen adaptor
RD Shimano XTR
Wheels Stans Crest, D swiss 240s
Saddle Fizik Tundra
Grips ESI Chunky
Headset Giant
Cassette Shimano XTR
Chain Shimano XTR
Pedals Shimano XTR
Cage King SS
Tires Geax Burro
Bolts Ti/Aluminum

BrianAllan

by BrianAllan

Wheelset would depend on needs, but I would like to say, I was really surprised with how much I enjoyed riding the XTC 29er. It was snappy and nimble, reminding me why I loved the hardtail. The geometry (unlike that of specialized) felt really good. I own a Fisher Paragon, arguably having the "best" 29er geometry, and I thought the Giant was excellent.

The stock wheelset is garbage, so I would recommend something from Stans, or a Bontrager wheelset. I recommend the Bontrager because they have what seems to be the best tubeless system on the market presently. If you're a larger rider, and abuse equipment, I think something a bit heavier from Bontrager is going to work better for you in the long term. That said, I just built myself up a pair of Stans Arch rims on King Hubs for a long haul durable wheelset. I had come from the Bontrager Rhythm comp, which despite being heavy, was an excellent wheelset. I hate to sell them because they have been so good to me. It's very assuring hearing the bead of the tire POP in to place and having to rip it out to unseat the tire.

I think Mavic and DT also make nice wheelsets/rims but I don't the price/usability is worth the extra money.

Make sure you take pictures of the complete bike!

cheers

velocat

by velocat

wheelset upgrade must come early.
destroyed the stock rear rim. Pinch flat turned into a cracked rear rim.

I was surprised at how thin the edges were on this wheel. It didn't take much:

Race next weekend.
I'll either be on borrowed wheels, or lacing up a set of Chris King Wheels VERY QUICKLY.
:twisted:

148 lb rider.
I ride this bike all the time.
I must have tubeless.

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

Wow, you must have come down pretty hard on that pinch flat.

FWIW, I think the rims are just rebadged syncros rims, so you should be able to relace it if you want a pair of training wheels.

FWIW, hope hubs are more better. CK hubs are slow from over sealing and too much engagement. Also, they are quite hefty and require a special tool which = more $$

So yeah, hope or DT swiss = win.

velocat

by velocat

got a quick set of wheels via craigslist for the race this weekend:

DT Swiss rims. Very nice stuff. Bringing the bike down to 24.66 lbs

pics forthcoming.

by Weenie

BrianAllan

by BrianAllan

any updates? Interested to see how you're liking the bike, and what you've got the weight down too.

Cheers