Bontrager/Chris King Wheel Set, need rim recommendations

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

yumseyo

by yumseyo

Hi all, I just purchased a set of 1999 Bontrager wheels with Bontrager made by Chris King Hubs. The front has 24 spokes/radial, and the rear has 28 (3x drive side/radial other). It has a nipple that is pulling thru the rim (just cracking so far). I wanted to replace the rim, but it has no stickers and the nipple holes are offset. I was told that it should be a 542 ERD. Would anyone know where I could get a 28 hole lightweight v brake rim or 24 front/28 rear to match up a set? Thanks in advance, Don

by Weenie

yetimatt

by yetimatt

You could go with a 28H Stan's Notube's ZTR 355 Rim, it has an ERD of 540, and comes in 28H, claimed weight is 375-380g (Probably the lightest v-brake rim you'll find).

http://www.notubes.com/product_info.php/cPath/487_489/products_id/302

Other options would be the Mavic XC717 (claimed 420g, but knowing Mavic, probably more). Then there is the Velocity Aerohead that has an ERD of 542, and is available in 24 and 28h, and has a claimed weight of 425g.

There are also the Velocity Synergy (front) and Synergy O/C rims. The are claimed at 430g. The Synergy O/C is off-center like your current rim.

yumseyo

by yumseyo

Thank You ! I also found a Bontrager Variant OSB Ceramic (to match the front ceramic).(542 ERD 28 hole 410grams and same thickness of my rim) But I need to confirm that it is ceramic. Is that a decent rim? 35.00 + shipping ! Is there a great advantage of using ceramic? I was thinking on replacing both rims but it is hard to find a 24 hole rim.. Any thoughts?

DuncanG

by DuncanG

Ceramic from what i remember from my days of rim brakes and wheels like 217s and xmax were amazing. They will last way longer even if you do chip the surface which can happen...you would need to run ceramic pads or they will wear really quick though.

yumseyo

by yumseyo

Just Found some Sun Equalizer 21 rims at BikeSweets.com. Dean there is the most helpful person I have run into since entering this new hobby. Would anyone give me comments on these rims. Dean weighed them for me and gave me actual weight of 394 grams for the front and 406 grams for the rears. What do you think the set would weigh and should I build them up or just off the Bontrager by Chris King hubs? I don't want to spend good money towards a set not worthy of all the work.