What is the best derailleur/shifter set up right now.

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

BmanX

by BmanX

Money no object, what is the best option right now in your opinion.

I am currently running XTR shifters tuned and a Rapid Rise (which I just do not like) tuned as well with an XTR FD.

I really do like Twist but I am fine with Trigger as well.

So let me know your thoughts on what you feel is the best set up going right now.

Does not matter between 2 X 9 or 3 X 9.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

by Weenie

cryoplasm

by cryoplasm

XTR for sure.

It would be good to see an improvement in the mechanisms of the actuation servos. They're all bare bushings based at the moment, across the entire line. This is susceptable to high degree of wear from dirt and the elements. Sealed bearings need to be introduced.

cerro

by cerro

Sram X.X of course. If you like triggers.

Frankie - B

by Frankie - B

Sram gripshifters with their ders!

They simply rock!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

nitropowered

by nitropowered

I've always been a trigger guy and like the XTR triggers. I especially like being able to release the cable by either my thumb or forefinger and two at a time.

I think all the systems are good and operate in similar ways unlike the road shifters where the shifting action is all different. Refering to triggers, obviously excluding Sram twists and shimano's horrible dual control.

I do think Sram 9speed shifts very similar down the line, being hard to distinguish between X0 and X9, and X7, but with shimano you can immediately feel a difference between XTR and XT and further down. I do with XTR action was a little heavier like sram with more distinct clicks.

CGT

by CGT

As is becoming obvious from the answers, it's all down to what you like. Both XX, X.0 and XTR will do the job brilliantly.

raceer

by raceer

Moved from xtr to sram gripshift (for other reasons)....they both work well...xtr is a lot slicker and smooth compared to the sram drivetrain which is a lot more notchy. A bit like driving your family sedan and a race car which is in/out. I like both but prefer the shimano. However have grown to like the often 'noisier' sram ... i will now duck as the flack flies....

at the end of the day, ride both and decde for youself..you cant go wrong with either...

your issue with rapid rise is that its designed to run with dual controls and work best with same. My xtr was/is on all bikes are dual controls so have a lot of exp with rapid rise...a bummer to setup but once done, works really well in my exp. I have also run xt in rapid rise which work just as well as xtr...just a tad heavier.

I have not run triggers of any kind for ages so cannot comment.
raceer

cero

by cero

Probably too soon for this question but anyway: what is the durability of Sram´s X.X rear cogs?

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Money no object, it's without a doubt Di2.

I lent mine to RC at MBA and while he was suppose to keep it for a week to ride and review it, after the review he ended up keeping for a couple extra weeks just so he could keep riding it for fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFL0LLOv ... r_embedded

BmanX

by BmanX

Money a bit of an object to deal with, Di2 is not an option at this point.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

njee20

by njee20

I'd say XX is the best set up!

As an aside... I noticed Fun Works do a 10 speed MTB ti cassette for a lot less than the XX one, so you could do 10 speed 'on the cheap' potentially!

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Ok, so money an object, I'm going to say wait. Unfortunately I can't give any details at all, but 6 months from now the game will look fairly different. It would be a shame to drop a decent amount of coin on something that you may want to replace again later this year, and if you buy something you won't want to replace you may wish you had waited if the price drops a bit later this year.

BmanX

by BmanX

When Madcow tells you to wait, I wait.

I will focus my efforts elsewhere for the moment and save up some pennies for 6 months.

I hope it will be worth it.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

by Weenie

DuncanG

by DuncanG

Is there a possibility that just the f/d will have an electric option, since in allot of ways that is the real strength of di2 in most applications, and would increase the marketability since most people would then not be so afraid to rip their cable r/d off ? also what is "dyna-sys"?? doing a build right now and cannot decide on waiting or not...