Lightweight MultiTool

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ihcnaib

by ihcnaib

Yep, I have one of these. I never go anywhere without it.
Its also the tool I use when/if breaking a chain in my "workshop".
Very flat and compact.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jadis3

by jadis3

99gr, have ordered at Starbike, hope for claimed weight and convenient use

jadis3

by jadis3

I like it
but it is heavier than climed 68gr

xptxc

by xptxc

home made after some light not usable tools ( mainly poor chain tools).

took pieces from 4 tools ( chain tool is from BBB) other pieces are maily from specialized tools, Ti bolts; magnesium body.

Dremel all over the place.

Could go a bit lighter but for now its ok

All tools are steel not alu or ti

bad photo, my fault - sorry

Cheers!

chrism

by chrism

Finishline Chain Pup - 28g. If you need other AKs etc. get them as separates. Have used it to break a chain and it does work fine.
No scales on the trails

ElectricPanda

by ElectricPanda

That is very cool xptxc! It sure makes my mini 6 and chainbreaker at 120g's look sad!

Gran Sport

by Gran Sport

the days in my Deuter backpack are now numbered for my CB multi 17 - its heavy!

@ 152g without the 9g rubber grip or 172g with it (blame the scales) i'll start using a rubber band to keep the unused tools from flopping about instead of the 9g grip

...if santa reads this, this year i'm hoping for one of the new Lezyne Carbon 10 @ 80g this year - thank you very much.
Attachments
172g CB multi tool 17 complete
172g CB multi tool 17 complete
9g crank brother multi tool 17 grip
9g crank brother multi tool 17 grip

toskij

by toskij

My old post :"Since 1998 I carry with me the 51 grams Ritchey CPR 13+ alloy body , with 2,3,4,5,and 6 mm hex wrenches, socket wrenches, flat and phillips screwdriver, chain tool and bottle opener! A masrterpiece "
Attachments
ritchey%20crp%2013%2B.jpg
ritchey%20crp%2013%2B.jpg (4.8 KiB) Viewed 3109 times
too old to mtb, too young to die!

JayDee81

by JayDee81

Something new available? I am looking at Lezyne SV-11 which I really like. Is there something with the same +- tools and less than 110 g weight?

TMI

by TMI

I recently picked up this tool on sale, but it's not really lightweight (claimed 170g). Build quality is very nice, though.
https://tacx.com/product/mini-allen-key ... extractor/ (There is a mini version of the chain tool, but I was concerned about lack of leverage with its small size.)

I hope to post more about this tool (and photos) as I have time, but here is the Bike Radar review.

First, I made a comprehensive list of all the tools I would need to service my bike on the road, and the Tacx tool covers most of them. I'll swap the T25 for a T20 bit, and I need a 2mm hex instead of a flat screwdriver bit. I'm still working on ways to get the weight down, and/or improve its reach.

As per xptxc's custom tool, the lightest tool is often achieved by combining the best bits from multiple tools. (see here) Lighter = $$$

wyz

by wyz

Is a chain tool still required as quick link is available?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

TMI

by TMI

wyz wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:01 pm

Have you ever had a chain fail on a ride? Fortunately, I have not. On one occasion, though, I did notice a cracked outer plate on one of the links right before going out on a long ride. A failure on that ride would have left me stranded.

But if a chain did fail, the chain must have the proper orientation (two consecutive inner plates) in order to install a quick link. What's the probability a chain will break in this manner? Unless I'm missing something, a chain tool would likely still be needed to remove pin(s) and the broken link(s), would it not?

JayDee81

by JayDee81

wyz wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:01 pm

You always need a chain tool when your chain fails. I think it is not even possible for the chain to fail in a way that the broken links fall out, making space for the quick link.

As for the tool I don't want to go that hardcore as to combine multiple tools etc. I want a nice aftermarket tool that is also lightweight. Will probably stick with Lezyne as I've already had to use the chain tool on it once and it works ok.

TMI

by TMI

I had considered the Lezyne chain tool, but I couldn't pass up the great price on the Tacx (less than the Lezyne). The Tacx chain tool works far better than the small chain tool I purchased years ago, and was the worth the price all by itself.

Previously, my on-road tool kit consisted of loose wrenches (2mm-6mm) in a sleeve of old butyl tube.

If you already have a set of loose wrenches, this is a quick, easy, and lightweight way to carry the tools you're most likely to need.

froze

by froze

I haven't tried that many of these tools, but I did play around with some in a few stores and the one I like the most because it seemed better built than the others in the stores was the Park MTB3.2 which unfortunately is no longer made but could be found at some LBS's yet, however now instead they have the MTB7 which I haven't seen but it does have less tools than the 3.2. While not the lightest tool on the market you really don't want the lightest though because they tend to be quite flimsy, you know, they have to reduce weight somewhere so either you get something light with just a very few tools or something light with a medium number of tools but too flimsy to make it much good.

The Lezyne SV10 looks promising though the tool count is on the low side; the Topeak Alien II has a lot more tools than the new Park MTB7 but the weight goes up; however Topeak comes back with a fewer tools and lighter version called the Mini Pro 20; back to Park they have a lighter with less tool version of the 7 called the IB3. All the Pedros and the Crank Brothers ones I saw were flimsy built in my opinion when I handled them.

If you get the Lezyne it use to come with glueless patches, not sure if they still do that or not, but I tried the Lezyne glueless patch kit and their patches SUCK! The patch lasted about 12 hours before it failed whereas whenever I use Park Glueless patches they'll last the life of the tube without failing. So Lezyne slick packaging of those patches fooled me...but I kept the case and instead I put the Park patches in it instead! Lezyne needs to contract with Park and use those in their patch kit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com