XTR or DEUS crankset?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Dr Sunn

by Dr Sunn

What do you thing about the XTR and the DEUS. I know the Deus' crankset has problems during the ride. The XTR is very good i know, but the Deus is beautiful too, and less expensive than the Shimano.

The K-force is the must, but it's too expensive for me :cry:

Can you guide me in my choise.

Tank
http://julmtb.com French WW community

Tippster

by Tippster

Have you considered either Middleburn RS-8's? Or Extralite's e-bones w?
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dr Sunn

by Dr Sunn

No?

It is enough rigid? And the price?

20_bandh

by 20_bandh

DONT CONSIDER anything from Extralite, their products are sub-standard. Race Face are one of my favourite component makers, I have a NEXT LP and am well chuffed with it.

Tippster

by Tippster

20_bandh wrote:DONT CONSIDER anything from Extralite, their products are sub-standard. Race Face are one of my favourite component makers, I have a NEXT LP and am well chuffed with it.

Rather a bold sweeping statement.

Tippster

by Tippster

Dr Sunn wrote:No?

It is enough rigid? And the price?

Extralite E-Bones-W
feedback is just beginning to filter through as they have only just been released to market. Try a search.

Middleburn RS-8's
The cranks come with a lifetime guarantee.

I'm personally torn between the e-bones-w and middleburn RS-8's myself. I'll wait a couple of months for more feedback on the e-bones.

I was likely going to couple either crank set with Boone Ti rings.

carlos

by carlos

the xtr seems to be a more reliable option right now, maybe the race face guys have already fixed the deus early problems but i wouldnt take that risk.

extralite is not a reliable brand if you ride your bike a little more than 2 hours/weeks.
hey
ho
lets go!

Esben

by Esben

carlos wrote:extralite is not a reliable brand if you ride your bike a little more than 2 hours/weeks.

What do you mean :wink: Look at my seatpost, 6 months old and I just weigh 60kilo and rides pure XC. And they won’t send me another "bar", so I just made one out of a piece of aluminium myself. It’s no problem, if you have the tools. I'm pretty sure, I haven’t over tightened it!

I’ve used a XTR crank set the last 14 months and I’m very satisfied with it. I think it’s a bit nicer than the Deus – I hope my Deus-riding friends at home don’t read this thread.
Attachments
extralite seat post.jpg
GAZ GAZ

20_bandh

by 20_bandh

My EXTRALITE seatpost failed in the middle of a ride. The tube buckled and came away from the bolts at the top. Under different circumstances I could have come a cropper. At the time I weighed about 72 kgs and was riding just light cross country. I was shocked by how pathetically weak the seatpost actually was. Maybe their cranks are better, but Im not a gambling man and wouldnt fork out a single penny for extralite crap ever again.

cadence90

by cadence90

Back on topic:
Dr Sunn wrote:....I know the Deus' crankset has problems during the ride....

carlos wrote:....maybe the race face guys have already fixed the deus early problems but i wouldnt take that risk....

What problems are there with Deus?
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Brandhout

by Brandhout

The deus got some negative reviews on mtbr.com, but in the posts they also told raceface fixed their problems, and that raceface was working on the general problem. These posts date some time back. I've bought the deus and i'm riding it for 7 months now. So far without any problems. Before these i rode the turbine's and i really notice the difference, the deus x-type is much stiffer. If you order them and swap the raceface rings for TA, i don't think they will weight much more then the xtr's.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dr Sunn

by Dr Sunn

Ok, so i take the XTR. :D