Re: MTB Tubular

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

F45

by F45

Thought about it, but I have ten Geax tires and it's going to take me forever to get through them.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Duke the ori 52mm is 52.5mm wide. Had a few rides on them now. They are quite and grippy but they do puncture. Stans sealant and cafe latex have been used along with Joe's. The sealant sometimes works. I had three flats today. More sealant fixed the first puncture (I had to put more in last week after a double flat) then I flatted again in both tyres. I rode on two flat tubs as I could not reinflated. They did reinflated at the shop though. Tubeless tyres are now in the bike. These are dry weather tyres. Flint plus water is shredding these ori's.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hjb1000

by hjb1000

So how are mtb tubulars going these days??
Not seeing the pros using them as much any more. Nino back on Maxxis clinchers due to sponsorship or simply because they are better?

LeDuke

by LeDuke

hjb1000 wrote:So how are mtb tubulars going these days??
Not seeing the pros using them as much any more. Nino back on Maxxis clinchers due to sponsorship or simply because they are better?
He started using them in the build up to the 2016 Olympics. They weren’t a sponsor then.

A tubeless clincher plus a set of super light inserts is better than a tubular. Low pressure, tire retention, amazing grip and rim protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alfus

by Alfus

LeDuke wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:42 pm
He started using them in the build up to the 2016 Olympics. They weren’t a sponsor then.

A tubeless clincher plus a set of super light inserts is better than a tubular. Low pressure, tire retention, amazing grip and rim protection.

mmmm no. I'm never going to change my CX tubulars, you can run extremly low presures.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Alfus wrote:
LeDuke wrote:

mmmm no. I'm never going to change my CX tubulars, you can run extremly low presures.
I don’t believe that MTB (WC XCO) and CX are the same sport. Do you?

As such, I’m not sure what relevance your CX tubulars have in this conversation.

Alfus

by Alfus

LeDuke wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:09 am
Alfus wrote:
LeDuke wrote:

I don’t believe that MTB (WC XCO) and CX are the same sport. Do you?

As such, I’m not sure what relevance your CX tubulars have in this conversation.

:facepalm

hjb1000

by hjb1000

I'm still running my Tufos and Racing Ralph tubulars on my hardtail- they're great. Shame to see less of the pros on them. I'm still interested to try out the Dugast Ori's as well...

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I have several sets of ORIs, from 47mm to 54mm.
Threw some OKO sealant in them for good measure.
I don't do sharp rocks or drops, but have had zero issues all last year.
The flexibility in pressures for the conditions, without worrying if it was too low, was a plus.

xsport

by xsport

I've many bicycles (road, gravel, mtb and hybrids) and I use tubulars on almost all of them. As regards road I don't find a single vantage for clinchers when you can fix a traditional small flat with some ml of liquid latex. Apart from superior comfort, speed and weight they're more reliable in case of flats because the pressure goes dowm much slowly and they stay glued to the rims.
As regards mtb the only problem is that there is no choice on the market. Traditional tubulars with inner tubes like Dugast are not enough reliable because the flats are frequent and liquid latex doen't work very well with them. Aslo big holes are difficult to close by plugs for the same reason: there's too much fabric and only a few rubber layer so latex and the plugs rubber don't find enough tire rubber to work with. Unfortunatly Ori version (no inner tube) has the same problems.
But Tufo are super reliable both with liquid latex and with plugs. The vantage are that cuts are almost impossible like pich flats and also the rims are more reliable. So with a mini pump and some plugs you will always go back home in case of any kind of flat. You can also ride with very low psi without any problem.
Beside this, also changing them with adesive tape is much easier and faster than tubeles tires. Infact you can make it alone in some seconds and with your bare hands only.
My choice for mtb is Tufo XC4 but I hope that with the new gravel market there will be more choice for the future.

F45

by F45

I shelved my Edge tubular wheelset long before I cracked the 26er bike they went on. The tires were just too skinny for even xc riding. They were also draggy compared to my 2.4 tubeless setup.

Last Fall I cut the spokes and sold the hubs, tossed the rims and my tire stash into a dumpster.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have 26" tubular tyre stash. My daughter is needs 26"wheeled bike. So to be cheap I will reuse the rims I ha e and the tyres for her. She's light and wiĺ never puncture them hopefully.

The ori tubs never held air for me. They punctured very easily.

Tubeless plus PTN insert is superior.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

UpFromOne wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:06 am
The flexibility in pressures for the conditions, without worrying if it was too low, was a plus.
How low do you want to go? I know people with normal bodyweight (70-80 kilos) racing on as low as 1,5 bar. A couple of the lighter juniors/women i work with are running less.
No, they aren't slow.

hjb1000

by hjb1000

Are any of the current pros riding MTB tubulars in the Worldcup? I think the last time I saw them was a year or two ago when one of the riders rolled their rear tubular off the carbon rim at the start of the race lol.
Maybe Jenny Rissveds uses them occationally?

I find it strange how the XC MTB world transitioned so quickly from tubular to tubeless.

Singular

by Singular

hjb1000 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:06 am
Are any of the current pros riding MTB tubulars in the Worldcup? I think the last time I saw them was a year or two ago when one of the riders rolled their rear tubular off the carbon rim at the start of the race lol.
Maybe Jenny Rissveds uses them occationally?

I find it strange how the XC MTB world transitioned so quickly from tubular to tubeless.
It is not that strange - practically noone produces and uses tubulars anymore even for competitive MTB, and I'd be hard pressed as a top-end sponsor to see "my" riders on some niche manufacturer goods instead of my own, marketable products. For lower tier racing, the benefits of tubeless and modern wheels technology (combined with the user-friendlier nature of the system) makes it a whole lot easier to choose.

Tubulars have clearly gone out of fashion even on the road side (making the more or less absent in the latest generation of wheels), and a producer of wheels/rims would be hard pressed to make a mold for that dozen or so of customers that still believe in the (very real!) benefits that tubulars offer for MTB.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com