XTR 970 cranks with 2x9 set up! PICS

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ben88

by ben88

limba wrote:Why not use a Middleburn Duo with a 44/42/40 outer and 32/29/27 inner?
Anything wrong with this setup? Too heavy? Bad shifting?

Middleburns are nice and light (see listings) but are more flexy that an xt/xtr setup. Also you have to use a square taper or isis bb which is less reliable. Depends on your preferences, most people probably wouldnt notice the flex I expect.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GuNKiLLaH
Shop Owner

by GuNKiLLaH

Andersson wrote:
GuNKiLLaH wrote:
Swannie wrote:those are 'problemsolvers', bolts people use to make a crank
'singlespeed' > http://www.singlespeed.nl/catalog/produ ... ucts_id=82

Where I can find those in red and blue???

Thank you!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=7064

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=19227

Thank you! just ordered!
MY YOUTUBE Channel - Helmet Cams, Notubes Working, XC Riding in Brazil.
My 9.050g Epic S-Works with custom paintjob & my CX bike

Sandal

by Sandal

btw, i used these brand-x alu bolts couple seasons ago and 2 out of 5 nuts failed in just one season. may be just my poor experience, but i'm obviously unhappy about them. xtr for me now. i'd better trim regular xtr bolts to the right shorter size.
weight concerned = good, weight obsessed = bad!

Mikkelxc

by Mikkelxc

Just done this setup. 42-30 chainrings 2mm spacers. But it won't fit on my Dean frame! I'am using King BB with 1 spacer in driveside 68bb, what is wrong? Do i need more spacers? Or is it my frame not having "space" for this setup..i don't understand :roll:

quantum_Rider

by quantum_Rider

Mikkelxc wrote:Just done this setup. 42-30 chainrings 2mm spacers. But it won't fit on my Dean frame! I'am using King BB with 1 spacer in driveside 68bb, what is wrong? Do i need more spacers? Or is it my frame not having "space" for this setup..i don't understand :roll:

Isn´t it 2 spacer on drive side and 1 on non drive side with 68bb, when no e-type fd clamp or chainguides are used?

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/XTR/FC-M970/SI-15H0A-001-EN_v1_m56577569830600538.PDF

Mikkelxc

by Mikkelxc

You could be right, that makes sense. But i just fitted the BB according to King's instructions and it states 0 or 1 spacer in driveside in 68 setup.
But i will try with 3 spacers as you do with the Shimano BB and i think i will work, thanks!

blazin-saddles

by blazin-saddles

I've also set this up today Scott Spark, TA 42/30 rings on XTR 970 cranks 2mm spacer on inner ring, Dura Ace front mech. The chain appears to keep missing the inner ring when shifting down from the big ring, anyone else have this issue? I've put 4mm of spacer and it seems to hit everytime now but this is more than everyone else is using?

Tried to run it on my Scale but kept getting chainsuck which needed the chain splitting to remove. not good! might just give up on this project and go back to XTR rings :cry:

hucklesby

by hucklesby

ive also had problems with chain suck with this set up. works fine in training but raced on sunday and got really bad chain suck twice. anyone got a solution?

Sandal

by Sandal

sacrifice some weight and run e-type front d. = minimum chainsucks, only if you're very unlucky with muddy and worn chain ;)

blazin-saddles

by blazin-saddles

Mine is a Scale so has the E type mech and the chain/rings were brand new.

Never happens with Stock XTR rings but as soon as the TA go on it's chain suck all over the place. seems to be worse under race conditions as reported. Luckily I noticed in training so didn't take the risk for the race.

Sandal

by Sandal

one single chain suck on my TAs over season or riding and racing, also Scale frame. so i'm sure it's no rings fault. it's likely due to rings positioning. check the distance between middle and big ring on xtr (10mm if i remember right) and make sure you space TA rings to match this distance.

blazin-saddles

by blazin-saddles

Exactly! I read on here a 2mm spacer is required between inner ring and crank, I think this needs to be more like 4mm to increase the gap between the rings.

hucklesby

by hucklesby

i cant see that the spacing is the issue. the distance for me with xtr rings measures 8mm and is the same with my ta rings. yet i find it really confusing as to why it wont work! i may try a 4mm spacer but only seems to do it when racing so dont dont want problems then.

Andersson

by Andersson

I looked at my xtr chainwheels and saw that the teeths is slightly wave formed, espessialy on the grannyring. I had a motorcycle once with a wearout chainwheel and chain. The chainwheel had extreamly wave formed teeths and when I rolled it backward the chain got stuck on the chainwheel. The xtr chainwheel is wave to the opposite direction, can that help the chain to easely roll of the chainwheel. On the outher hand that would make it hard to pedal backwards.

Any thoughts on this?

TUNA FISH

by TUNA FISH

Thought I'd add pictures of my recent 2x9 XTR conversion. Its a 2 year old XTR so looking a bit worn but still works none the less, did a ride with it today and am pleased with it.

I added a couple of 1mm spacers on the granny ring spot. The gear combo I am running is 42-30 which I like, I figured since I never used the granny ring before, going down a couple of teeth would enable me to use the whole of the cassette rather then sticking at the top. I intend on buying a 28t for my toolbox just in case a course has a climb I find I can't keep a steady cadance.

Heres another little something I have also been working on, even more exclusive than the Beijing edition SID!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com