XTR 970 cranks with 2x9 set up! PICS

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jaker

by Jaker

Clavicula DP cranks have no 64mm bolt holes, only 104mm. They are made for only 2x9, using one set of 104mm mounting ears. The smallest chainring that can fit on a 104mm bolt circle is 30t.

If you have normal 3x9 Claviculas, then you can fit anything from 20t and higher on the 64mm bolting position.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Andersson

by Andersson

Tiffster wrote:I think he's using 2mm spacers because Shimano, in there wisdom made the XTR cranks BCD Standard as people wanted - but they still made it that Only XTR rings work on XTR cranks. The granny ring has a 2mm offset - so if you want to use anything other than XTR you need to use spacers to make it work.

What a company :roll:

Thats exactly why I use spacers.

Andersson

by Andersson

Tsielio wrote:So 2mm M8 spacers make it possible to use classic LX/XT/TA granny on xtr crank? No shifting problems?
Did you drill mini holes in those spacers or is that just the pic?

Anyone tried 26 or 27 with 42? Is this comfortable to shift +15T or is the difference too big?

Well done!

I havent tried it yet so I cant comment on shifting. The spacers has holes drilled in them. I ordered some titanium bolts for the brake calipers and then they had thoose alu spacers with drilled holes so I ordered them to at the same time, Tastynuts.com if you are intrested.

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

I made these for people who wanting to buy custom titanium rings.
Attachments
ep44t-4-104.jpg
ep28t-4-64.jpg
Experimental Prototype

hucklesby

by hucklesby

im having trouble finding a ta 64 bcd 30 tooth ring in black. where are thse available? preferably in the u.k.

welcomdmat

by welcomdmat

SJS has black TA

tommeke

by tommeke

I have a similar setup: XTR 970 crank + TA 42T & 28T rings. As you can see in the attached pics, this setup is only possible with spacers (2-2.5mm) between the inner ring and the crank spider. Without the spacers there's virtually no space left for the chain to sit on the small ring.
This setup works great for me. I never really needed a 44T nor a 22T ring. I've got better chainline, better weight (737g with bb and all the hardware).
The only thing that's worrying me is the fact, that the big ring is held in place by the bolts alone - it is not supported by the spider like in other 104mm BCD cranks. I have used this setup on a LX 580 in 2007 and on this XTR 970 crank in 2008. So far no problems for me.

meub

by meub

@ tommeke or anyone else

have you tested it yet? any problems to hold the ring in place?
could this also work with XT-cranks?

greetz

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

Chainrings holding in place with only bolts is ok if the chainring is structually strong enough.
Experimental Prototype

ben88

by ben88

You can fit 42/28 ta chinook rings to an xt chainset with no modifications and no spacers etc. Im running this atm while I consider whether to get an xtr c'/set to run my 2x9 setup on.

meub

by meub

thnx!
but no spacers? so the chainline is the same as before? or where do you fix the rings?

greetz

ben88

by ben88

Mounted the 42 in the middle and 28 in the small ring position on my Yeti, no spacers needed :)

Swannie

by Swannie

meub wrote:thnx!
but no spacers? so the chainline is the same as before? or where do you fix the rings?

greetz

Nope, you don't no spacers, but you do need new, shorter bolts!
Pic:

meub

by meub

thnx!!
also for the clear picture Belgian Biker :wink:
so your chainline is the same as with a middle and small ring. no problemes with the inside ring? with maximum how many teeth can you maximum ride? what setup do you ride at this moment, 42-28??

greetings
<only>

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

meub

by meub

one morre question
i see your front der is a little bit high above your big ring, no problems with your chain falling of off the big ring??

greetz
<only>