which cross country frame?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Rickyfirst

by Rickyfirst

scapin wrote:Rickyfirst, I'm happy too. Which model do you have?

I've got an Oto's (black and gold color) which I bought as second hand for 500 €. The frame was new and never mounted. Until now this is my best XC hardtail frame. I'm coming from Marin Eldridge Grade, Team Marin, Sintesi X-Wing (3 differents frame, one in easton, one scandium carbon and one dedaciai) specialized M5 and at least the best a Scapin Oto's.

The only frame which was closed to my Scapin was the Team Marin in tange ultimate tubing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zach

by zach

Cannondale Scapel soft tail frame with carbon rear stays, optimo front triangle. Alot riders use these for cross counrty and marathon racing. Stock scapel 3000 weighs in at about 22-23 lbs. For a full xtr, with cross max wheels bike.

Rickyfirst

by Rickyfirst

zach wrote:Cannondale Scapel soft tail frame with carbon rear stays, optimo front triangle. Alot riders use these for cross counrty and marathon racing. Stock scapel 3000 weighs in at about 22-23 lbs. For a full xtr, with cross max wheels bike.

You are right cannondale Scalpel are so good :? that siemens team need to upgrade them with expensive and non reliable spare parts to be able to ride them in the world cup race. In addition, the damper they used don't work during the race (there is no doubt about it, I see it this year in Houffalize :roll: , I was in a place where all the damper was working except the one from Sauser and Paulissen).

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Rickyfirst wrote:You are right cannondale Scalpel are so good :? that siemens team need to upgrade them with expensive and non reliable spare parts to be able to ride them in the world cup race. In addition, the damper they used don't work during the race (there is no doubt about it, I see it this year in Houffalize :roll: , I was in a place where all the damper was working except the one from Sauser and Paulissen).

Ricky, don't forget that sauser and Paulissen get paid to ride with those bikes. Cannondale wants them on the podium because more people will buy a scalpel. Why should they use unreliable parts. suasers bike is a nice example of a real nice weight weenie ride. If he doesn't like the softtail option he will ride with the rearshock locked. That is his choice.
did you ever here the story about the TREK racer who rode a Judy SL with the internals replaced by Al. pipes? He didn't like to ride with a front shock, but his sponsor made him do it. So he took out the forks guts and replaced them with Al. piping.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Rickyfirst

by Rickyfirst

scapin wrote:Rickyfirst, I'm happy too. Which model do you have?

I've an Oto's frame (gold black color) and I'm delighted with this frame (even if the total weight of my bike is 10,3 kg with tubeless and disc).

My 19''frame weight 1,630 Kg without canti bolts

Pedä

by Pedä

take a schmolke scandium ht, i ride it to, cost 725€ (including aheadset)

very stiff/ light...

my is size m (46cm) and is 1289g (without clamps, brake studs...but with disk brake stud) the v-brake stud is normally 18g, my alu studs are only 11g

http://www.schmolke-titan.de/titan/titan_de/haupt.htm
Pedä

Rickyfirst

by Rickyfirst

Frankie - B wrote:
Rickyfirst wrote:You are right cannondale Scalpel are so good :? that siemens team need to upgrade them with expensive and non reliable spare parts to be able to ride them in the world cup race. In addition, the damper they used don't work during the race (there is no doubt about it, I see it this year in Houffalize :roll: , I was in a place where all the damper was working except the one from Sauser and Paulissen).

Ricky, don't forget that sauser and Paulissen get paid to ride with those bikes. Cannondale wants them on the podium because more people will buy a scalpel. Why should they use unreliable parts. suasers bike is a nice example of a real nice weight weenie ride. If he doesn't like the softtail option he will ride with the rearshock locked. That is his choice.
did you ever here the story about the TREK racer who rode a Judy SL with the internals replaced by Al. pipes? He didn't like to ride with a front shock, but his sponsor made him do it. So he took out the forks guts and replaced them with Al. piping.

I know that there are paid tu use a scalpel :lol: . The problem is that the cannondale marketing team always say that Scalpel bikes which are in shops are world cup winner bike.

The sauser bike wet up with another frame could be somethings great.

toskij

by toskij

I don't think that steel is the best for the short cross country races, but it is perfect for marathon.
If you ride ross country races, at 600 - 700 bucks you can try GT Zaskar Team frame. Graet stiffness.
too old to mtb, too young to die!

Rickyfirst

by Rickyfirst

toskij wrote:I don't think that steel is the best for the short cross country races, but it is perfect for marathon.
If you ride ross country races, at 600 - 700 bucks you can try GT Zaskar Team frame. Graet stiffness.

May be steel is not the best material for short xc race frame but do you think that the gain obtain with a stiff aluminium frame is so huge compare to a well designed steel frame ?

regarding the longevity of a steel frame, for me there is no doubt for the frame material choice.

toskij

by toskij

Rickyfirst ,
I ride on aluminium bike of 10 kg. for cross country races and it flies under my legs, and I use a steel bike (Ritchey Logic nitanium tubes frame ) of 11 kg. for marathons and it is so comfortable for long distance and tecnical long descends.... But believe me, if my goal is running short distance, if I want go fast, if I have 600 $ to spend, well I think the better choice is a GT zaskar team or another stiff frame which transfer to the ground all my efforts.

Rickyfirst

by Rickyfirst

toskij wrote:Rickyfirst ,
I ride on aluminium bike of 10 kg. for cross country races and it flies under my legs, and I use a steel bike (Ritchey Logic nitanium tubes frame ) of 11 kg. for marathons and it is so comfortable for long distance and tecnical long descends.... But believe me, if my goal is running short distance, if I want go fast, if I have 600 $ to spend, well I think the better choice is a GT zaskar team or another stiff frame which transfer to the ground all my efforts.

I've ridden for one race season a Spezialized S works M5 and for three seasons a Sintesi X wing frames and I must say that my Scapin does not give me the feeling to be slow. But may be I'm getting old :wink:

scapin

by scapin

Yes, Rickyfirst. :thumbup: toskij, have you never ride a Scapin bike? I loooove it!

toskij

by toskij

Only a road one and ok boys.....Scapin are good damn frames, when quality tubes (like Columbus) are designed and dimensioned to exalt the features of steel, it is reactive and reasonably light..
But this happens for the top of the range.
Do you believe that Quintale can buy a Scapin Nope frame with 600 $?
I too prefer steel, ‘coz my back counts 44 springs and I am offroad at least 5000 km in a year....
But in a short climb race I have to throw each leg down and pull on the bars whit all my strength till the bars flex , and I feel the difference among my bikes......
But our mission isn’t to persuade each other if Scapin is the best bike in the wordl.
Our mission consists in advising our buddy what kind of frame he needs to go faster in the races at the cost of 600 bucks. Or not?