Crankarms, rings and bb, for my ti frame project.

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

willwest

by willwest

Hi.

Anyone with a good sugestion for a crank, rings and bb combination.
Right now i have a xtr setup but i guess there must be several lighter setups without loosing the performance of the xtr.
I want 46,34,24 rings. The bike will be used for xc-racing so i need performance and durabillity.

Thanks.
Attachments
Ramme4.JPG

Adri

by Adri

Boone for the rings? Very durable and light to boot. Not cheap and shifting isn't up to Shimano standards (no ramps or pins).
You can keep your XTR cranks if you use the XTR five-bolt-spider adapter, but I've heard from a friend that Brett from Boone is making 4-bolt XTR rings now (pre 2003 XTR) so you can keep the XTR 4-bolt spider too
Auribus teneo lupum

cadence90

by cadence90

The Boone rings are beautiful.
What about tune Sixpack + Bigfoot + tune or Boone ti rings? That setup would weigh around 710g complete.
I'm thinking of that for my ti bike, but I think it will be very expensive. :cry:
I'm also looking at Middleburn RS-7 or RS-8.
I bought a TruVativ Stylo Team crankset (612g) with a Spada ISIS BB (ti spindle) but the finish quality on the TruVativ is terrible, the rings look stamped not machined, so I'm selling it.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

willwest

by willwest

Have been thinking about Storck powerarms, but rings? I need a 46 granny, and not it looks like that will limit my choises.

Allso shifting performance is a major item here.

Can i fit Shimano rings other brand of arms?
Was allso considering Middleburn arms,rings, but again not the same performance as Shimano from what I read.

cadence90

by cadence90

I know Middleburn have a spider specifically for use with XTR rings.
Silver only, 65g.
With RS-8 arms, the XTR spider, Middleburn chainring bolts and ti crankbolts, that would weigh 494g + the XTR rings.
Is the XTR chainring shifting that much better than other rings, even Middleburn SlickShift Hardcoat? I have read on other posts that the XTR rings don't last long and replacements are difficult to source. True?
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Tippster

by Tippster

First choice you mut make is Carbon Vs Alloy crank arms.

Carbon ---> Storck Power Arms
Alloy ---> Middleburn RS-8's

Personally I prefer alloy crank arms. They come up really nice even 12 months down the line. I haven't used a carbon crank. Do they look worn and tired after some reasonable abuse? Do they chip easy?

I think Middleburn offer a lifetime guarantee on their crank arms.
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

nikh

by nikh

Keep an eye out for the new Moonhead Cranks or perhaps the Crank Bros...

More info at Speedgoat.
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

elendil

by elendil

The new 2005 FSA Afterburner is beautiful and lighter than before, claimed weight: 599g.

Rings: T&A makes almost everything, good performance and light.

Trek/VW

by Trek/VW

I see you're Norwegian. Check out http://www.terrengsykkel.no for tips and used parts.

Adri

by Adri

As for shifting performance, Race Face and Shimano are the best performers here because of their (weighty) ramps and other shifting aids.
That being said ,you shouldn't shift any ring under full power. It's good riding practice to ease the shifts.
If you want cheap long lasting rings, try the TA's ; they have a huge selection in all sizes. Especially in winter conditions, it is better to run cheaper rings because of the high usage factor of mud and grime.
Auribus teneo lupum

IanB

by IanB

cadence90 wrote:Is the XTR chainring shifting that much better than other rings, even Middleburn SlickShift Hardcoat? I have read on other posts that the XTR rings don't last long and replacements are difficult to source. True?

With a Sram PC99 chain, Middleburn slick-shift is as good as Shimano IMO. The hardcoat on middleburn rings doesn't affect the shifting performance, but provides some improvement on wear rate, which I have found to be better than shimano.

For a comparison, a Middleburn 32t 5-bolt CD slick-shift hardcoat weighs 58g, versus 46g for the none slickshift version.

cadence90

by cadence90

I just looked into ti chainrings.
Boone definitely looks the best to me, and actually bit less expensive than Action Tec. I was surprised by that. I don't know how the Cycle Dynamics rings stack up pricewise, but I think Boone is a clear winner.
Still, I think I'll go with Middleburn for now.

@nikh, there's some nice stuff on that Speedgoat blog; both cranks look interesting (CB had to get their logo on there of course :wink:); did you see Yao Ming's bike? Yao-zah!

alain

by alain

[quote="cadence90"]I know Middleburn have a spider specifically for use with XTR rings.
Silver only, 65g.
[img]http://www.middleburn.co.uk/images/photos/xtr_spider.jpg[/img]
With RS-8 arms, the XTR spider, Middleburn chainring bolts and ti crankbolts, that would weigh 494g + the XTR rings.
Is the XTR chainring shifting that much better than other rings, even Middleburn SlickShift Hardcoat? I have read on other posts that the XTR rings don't last long and replacements are difficult to source. True?[/quote]

I had a 2x9 XTR set up last season (112.5mm BB) and this year I changed to Middleburn (RS8 Duo 44x32 Slickshift Hardcoat - 108mm. BB). The Middleburn setup is much lighter (-120gr.) but the shifting is clearly worse than the XTR setup so maybe the XTR Middleburn spider with RS8 arms is a good alternative.
Titanium rules.