weightwise worth to drill a x317? yesnomaybe

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

teutscher

by teutscher

i wondered if there was noticeable weightloss wenn drilling a mavic x317 (now '717 disk') and as nobody could tell me at that time i calculated and calculated and what i got was a mximum of 12.XXXg - not worth the work i thougt.

now quite some months later nonetheless i did it (eBayed some cheap 317s). 3 holes (nearly 9mm dia) between one pair of spoke-holes (only 2 holes nearby the valvehole and the rimjoint of course) AND only drilling the "invisible" side(!) - NOT like trialers drill their rims. what i got, was an 380g rim out of a 401g 317. still not sure, if it was worth that...

but maybe someone wanted to know what to expect drilling a rim that was quite skinny and kind of light right from the beginning :)

Bozopelli

by Bozopelli

Hi Countrypal (Landsman *g* )

Do you think a brocken rim during a ride is worth the risk of an possibly very dangerous accident? Saving weight is very cool for almost everyone here (i assume), but i think its quite stupid (not you but the action itself...) to perform such an effort on a part like a rim....
A brocken rear derailleur won´t end with broken bones in most cases, a brocken rim could very well do so...

I personaly would not take such a risk, but thats just an opinion.
Quäl dich, du Sau!

Adri

by Adri

I wouldn't touch a rim with a drill. I think it's a stupid idea.
Auribus teneo lupum

teutscher

by teutscher

don't think there is that much stress on the inside (actually outside). there are some similar thin walled (cheap oem) rims out there that don't even have a second wall...

not sure if and when i lace that rim but if it fails i'll tell you how much people were killed ;)

Bozopelli

by Bozopelli

If you´re still able to tell it (what we all hope)... :wink:

Imho (i am no rim constructor) the second wall has the function to prevent the side walls from moving away from each other when the inflating pressure rises. so what you risk is loosing your tire, your choice (everyone who´s had a snake bite once will tell you that such a msitake to happen isn´t much fun (including me). :lol:
Quäl dich, du Sau!

Mulle

by Mulle

Hi teutscher,

If you want to loose weight on your rims there are some ways. First remove all stickers. Then Shave the Brakingsurface more rough (gives better brakeperformance too) And the rim-wielding can be shaved a little bit too - this depends on the thickness.
but don't forget that there has to be some wielding left (more than rim) because of the strenght degrease in that region.

If you want to drill holes in your rim :shock: you may not drill more that there are in the largest Mavic version:
So if mavic sells these with 36 holes and you've got an 32 holes version you can drill 4 holes (not to close by each other) in the inner Rim.
As Bozopelli already told it gives the risk of Breaking from each other if you drill more.
An option more would be to drill all the holes ovalized - because of the hole you already have an given fracture, and because there is no serious lateral force you can extend the holes almost to the braking surfaces.

Hope this helps.
Principia MSLe Pro 9543g
If you accidently had to, could your bike take a smaller downhill ?