Help with FS frame, fork and brakes for roadie, please

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

spaniardclimber

by spaniardclimber

Hi all,
This is my first post on the MTB forum, Im a roadie and have decided to buy a MTB for winter training. Im know of every road component available but I have no idea of MTB components. I've searched around the net and this forum and I haven't seen any comments/reviews on the gost RT frame, it looks nice, light and cheap. For the fork I thought of a manitou minute 2. Is SPV worth it? I also think I will stick with V-brakes (avid light ones).
What do you think/recomend?
Thanks,
SC

Frankie - B
Administrator

by Frankie - B

Spaniard,

If I had to buy a budget hardtail now, it would be a Ghost HTX scanduim. Pretty cheap and good looking! Sadly i dont know anything about the ghost fullies. they look good. And i think they are good. For a fork, would choose a more high end version. The minute is to cheap for what you are looking for.
V's are a good choice, although many lightweight discs are comming to the market.

good luck with the project.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'

IanB

by IanB

spaniardclimber wrote:For the fork I thought of a manitou minute 2. Is SPV worth it?

A good choice IMO - I run a pair on my Intense XVP. They are very tuneable and the SPV technology has been effective and reliable for me so far.

Frankie B wrote:For a fork, would choose a more high end version. The minute is to cheap for what you are looking for

Can you justify the logic behind this statement? The Minute is a high end fork, and it certainly isn't cheap :? :wink:

Tippster

by Tippster

@ Ghost,

Once you have settled on frame and fork choice, feel free to mount roadie stuff on your mtb. I'm running an 11-23 DA cassette for weight reduction and a 168g SRP tuned DA rear mech. I'm also thinking of upgrading my XT front mech with a DA or campa double front mech (according to Nino a double DA front mech works with mtb tripple chainset - after you adjust the limit screws)

roadie: cassette, front and rear mech and chain all save weight and sometimes are more cost effective too that mtb components.
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

Phat Wookie

by Phat Wookie

If you just plan to ride the mtb in the winter and not race, a lowend RT/Minute setup is fine.

If you're gonna race and use it in the summer, get a nicer one, maybe the scandium and get a better fork, get a skareb or a Black. The SPV is definitely worth the extra money, cause you won't be bobbing all over the place when standing up.... roadies tend to dislike that :wink:
otherwise I'd recommend the Fox Float, that's a sweet fork. Fairly light, ample travel and really rigid.... my personal choice if I wasn't riding Headshok.

V-brakes are a cheaper, lighter and easier maintenance solution than discs, but discs are cooler and offer more control.

Maybe you should consider getting a hardtail instead and then some nice parts...?

Enjoy
I may not be very good at what I do... But at least I'm slow!

spaniardclimber

by spaniardclimber

I already have a hardtail, with RS Mag 21 and a mix of 7 and 8 sp components, with grafton brakes and v-brake levers...its a strange mix that doesn't work too fine :-)
Im not a good descender, once I tested a fully and it was awesome, I could descend difficult singletracks that with my hartail I couldn't (not confident enough), plus my butt doesn't get sored that much!
Thanks for all the info/suggestions!
SC