need help: getting a brake stud from my frame

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Frankie - B
Administrator

by Frankie - B

I just got a used GT Backwoods. Now i got two GT's!!! :D I'm planning to repaint it.

I would like to get the last brake stud out, but it is stuck. does anybody over here has a good idea to get it out?
Attachments
backwoods frame r.jpg
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'

Dellucci

by Dellucci

Hi Frankie the point I would like to help you but my English isn´t good enough to understand you so , if you just could a little bit more simply I could make me a picture of what your problem is..... :oops:
sorry tell me in the simpliest way you find Ok?
ciao......Dellucci

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

Frankie - one option would be to spray a little pentrating fluid around the stud and let it sit for a day. Then grab your pliers and give it a try.

Frankie - B
Administrator

by Frankie - B

@ Dellucci:

A brake stud is the metal part where you can screw the brake arm onto.

@ xterra: Already tried that, should i try to leave it on longer?

pic:
Attachments
brake boss.jpg

popawheelie

by popawheelie

One way is to heat up the area around it that is holding it. Try not heat the post. The heat will expand that area outward but give more time than you think it should take. Maybe have the pliers ready and try it a couple of times. It really does work.

Frankie - B
Administrator

by Frankie - B

What would you suggest to heat it?

homegrown

by homegrown

Are you trying to salvage the brake stud? Or will you just get new ones? If you can ruin it I would suggest this. Spray a crap load of lube in there, let it sit but the real change is when it comes to loosing it. Hopefully you have access to a bench vice, clamp that brake stud in there and tighten down like hell. Then twist the FRAME to loosen it. This gaves you wayyyy more leverage then a wrench or pliers slipping on that little post. The only forseeable problem is that you can't clamp it in a way that would allow you to turn the frame without running into anything. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Phat Wookie

by Phat Wookie

Hmmm..... In my line of work, rule number one is: "Primum non nocere" or in plain English: "First of all, dont cause any harm"

If you're in no rush, you might wanna try Xterras idea just a while longer and leave an oil soaked rag around so the oil doesnt drip off too fast.

- As for heating it, I tried doing that once with a disc brake caliper where a bolt had gotten stuck. I heated it lightly with a blow torch, but the thread never fit 100% again, nothing loctite couldn't handle but be careful. If you're pretty sure you dont need to get it out again you could try this.... don't know if it'll affect the weldings strength? :hmm:
I may not be very good at what I do... But at least I'm slow!

popawheelie

by popawheelie

Since you are painting it a little discoloration shouldn't matter. Just move it around the area that needs expanding. This torch is used primarily for melting solder for copper plumbing. The vice sound like a good idea also.
I can't get the photo to take. A good auto mechanic knows how to do this. They have to get stuck parts unstuck.

nikh

by nikh

One way (with damaging the brake stud) is to clamp it into a vice and use the frame as a lever. Worth a shot.
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

Frankie - B
Administrator

by Frankie - B

Thanks guys,

The vice worked! (I got a litlle spooky about the blowtorch thing)

It is out, and the thread is undamaged. Now i only need to get a new (fitting) stud.

Thanks!!! :thumbup:

teutscher

by teutscher

very often those things are glued in - heat it a quite few minutes but only use a hairdrier or something in that scale. warming up the glue destroys it AND warming up could also make the oil flow more easily into the thread.

the oily rag is also quite an idea in such cases; leave it there at least some hours or even 2-3 days

*edit*
ooops, ok, i just didn't say anything :D

Dellucci

by Dellucci

Hi Frankie.First of all thank to you man for explaining it to me .For that part you are on your Frame ..........isn´t it welded into the it?If yes ,why you don´t go to someone who has experience on building MTB frames or working on them?Whith the people you must know from your job and through WW. there must be severel persones you can contact to repare something like that,you aggree,I´am sure you do.
thanks man.........Dellucci.

Frankie - B
Administrator

by Frankie - B

@ Dellucci, I still think that you don't quite understand it. (no offence) therefore i photoshopped a new image that hopefully will explain it all to you.

I don't want to cut parts from my frame. I just wanted to remove the brake stud. the stud is screwed into a part of the frame. The stud was screwed real tight into the frame. I couldn't get it loose with the help of pliers. a vice helped me out.
Attachments
brake boss part 2.jpg

Boj

by Boj

I don't know if you got it done yet, but once I was removing a tough stud from a frame and didn't have a good enough spanner, so I took one a size smaller and filed down the stud sides where the spanner grabs onto it.

That wrench fit like a condom onto the stud and then I could get some serious torque without any chance of slipping. That's how I got mine off.