Rigid Ti fork.

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

willwest

by willwest

HI.
I'm looking for a Ti fork for my hardtail.
Anyone have a good sugestion of what to buy??

nikh

by nikh

Spicer, cheap and cheerful. Can be fragile.

Magmaa, don't know anything about them.

Morati, expensive!

All companys are on the links page.
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

willwest

by willwest

I'll guess it will be a Magmaa, if I can get hold of Magnus.
I think they moved the workshop.

alain

by alain

You should look at XACD too (http://www.xacd.com.cn/). I bought one of their Ti fork in 2002 and I'm very happy with it. Cheap (110$ excl. shipping) and light (580gr.).

pyf

by pyf

willwest, be careful with magmaa, my experience with them was a total disaster, and I lost a lot of money.

I can't tell you what to do with your money, just tell you to be really careful with magmaa... :cry:
Last edited by pyf on Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willwest

by willwest

Hi pyf.

Do you mind to tell me what happend. :?:

pyf

by pyf

to make it short :
february 2003 I ordered a custom road frame
told me I will receive it mid april, received it mid may
during this time, Magmaa took 120 more euros on my account than they were supposed to for the price of the frame.

the frame I received didn't work (seat tube diameter was around 31.2 so impossible to have a front derailleur working on it + the brake bridge was too high.

so they asked me to send back the frame, that I did beginning of june, told me I will receive a new frame before my holidays (mid-july), after writing many emails + some phone calls during the summer, I didn't have any frame beginning of september, and it wasn't ready yet. So I asked for my money back.

only option they offered me was to guve me back 70% for the price, I thought it was unnacceptable, but finally accepted because I wanted this story to be over.

My only condition was that I wanted 70% + the 120 euros they took on my account "by mistake" + my 2 brand new campagnolo record headset cups which were on the "bad frame" when I sent it back.

I got my 70% on my account in december after asking million times, never seen any of these 120 euros stolen, and the cups seemed to have disappear. Their answer was that they didn't have time to look for these cups... yeah right :?

I know my story sounds unbelievable. Even Magmaa sometimes told me I was kind of lying, but the bad thing for them is that I have all the emails we both sent without any exception.

as a conclusion, with magmaa I lost around 500 euros for the 30% they kept + 120 euros they took and never gave back + a brand new campagnolo record headset which is useless because I don't have the cups anymore... and I don't tell you about the time I wasted + the stress caused by all this story...

Now for me, Magmaa is not anymore on my list of the titanium frames and products companies !!! :x

best regards
pyf

Adri

by Adri

http://www.hilset.be
Has his stuff made in Taiwan. Can do custom sizes.

@pyf, sorry to hear about your magmaa troubles, they look like professional people from what I read on their website.. Looks like the language barrier might have caused some of the troubles here ?!? :oops:
Auribus teneo lupum

nikh

by nikh

alain wrote:You should look at XACD too (http://www.xacd.com.cn/). I bought one of their Ti fork in 2002 and I'm very happy with it. Cheap (110$ excl. shipping) and light (580gr.).

Spicer is XACD renamed so be weary.
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

alain

by alain

well, Spicer may order forks from XACD but it is definitively not the same company with a new name. They ask 225$ for their fork. XACD deliver forsk and frames to a series of companies in the US. Be weary ...
8)

Macros

by Macros

About to order some stuff from XACD has anybody had bad experiences?

teutscher

by teutscher

Macros wrote:About to order some stuff from XACD has anybody had bad experiences?

someone on mtbr.com had big trouble with them but i don't remember his name and can't find the refering thread (it was on the old tree-style board; something about custom ti-pedalaxles i think)

JungleBiker

by JungleBiker

nikh wrote:Spicer, cheap and cheerful. Can be fragile.

I like the sound of XACD's price and since Spicer's Ti forks come from XACD, please can you tell us why you say they are fragile?

Thanks.

Adri

by Adri

JungleBiker wrote:
I like the sound of XACD's price and since Spicer's Ti forks come from XACD, please can you tell us why you say they are fragile?

Thanks.

I think mainly because Spicer's forks have been known to break..so buy at your own risk.
If your riding style is drastic, check On-One's forks or Hilset's , they are from another manufacturer and better made..
otoh :shock: Spicer has learned . I did't find any mention of Ti forks on their website anymore
Auribus teneo lupum

alain

by alain

I bought some parts from XACD over the last two years: no problem so far.

I've ridden 2 years (and actually raced a few times) with my Ti XACD fork and I'm still alive. But I am a rather lightweight XC rider, I don't jump big drops and try to ride as fast but also as smooth as possible :D
So. I guess if you want something that does not brake or if you are an "agressive rider", take a cr-mo fork: it will weight 1kg but it will last. Or buy a full suspended enduro bike ... :wink: