Best MTB pedal for XC ????

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

what do you people think is the best "all around" MTB pedal for XC riding. Taking mud shed, weight, and good clip-in into account???

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nikh

by nikh

i was a firm believer in time pedals. now i prefer the crank brothers candy ti. i had the leg beaters...err i mean egg beaters but just couldn't handle not having a platform of some sort.

the time were a fantastic pedal but to clip out you really had to twist your ankle. which in turn made it tricky in dismounting in an awkward situation. however i do think speedgoat sell modified cleats to aid this problem.

the candy ti are fantastic. nice and easy to clip in and clip out. light weight also compared to the heavier time.

and not forgetting the crank bros have great customer service.

a pedal to be considered is the shimano also. i've heard really good things about them.
Attachments
candy-ti.jpg
time-atac.jpg
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

very nice....I was actually going to buy the Candy SL model, not the ti version

nikh

by nikh

just as good pat :)

check ebay for the candy ti i found mine new for a good price.

i forgot to mention, i don't have any experience with mud shed with the candy although i have heard good things. the time were awesome though.
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

As a Time lover i have to say that the time's are very good pedals. Very good mudshed and very good clipping in and out.

(I had some surgery on my knee and don't want to ride with anything else then time after that)
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Tippster

by Tippster

I've been running Xpedo Ti/Ti mountain force pedal now for 3 weeks.

I bought them new for $155 from a US based company.

I belive the price has now gone up to $195.

Claimed weight was 198g. I weighed them on a kitchen scale (not very accurate) and they came out at 200g.

I weigh 168lbs (12 stone / 76Kg) and ride both XC and road (HT MTB with slicks for road and nobblies for off road).

I've noticed no discernable flex from the axels, even though I do like to pull a strong gear, getting out of the saddle for short climbs.

I'm afraid I cant comment on the mud shedding as the weather has been too good. They are very similar in style to Shimano 959 pedals (XTR), just that they are a lot lighter due to Ti material and smaller in size.

Clipping in, they are similar to 959s too.

Value to weight, they stuck out to me as worth the gamble. As I had previously run 959's, the gamble seemed less.

I'm happy to post again once they have battled against the mud.

Not sure if these pedals are new. Surprises me that more ww's aren't using them as they are a lot cheaper than Egg Ti x3 and only a few grams more!

willf03

by willf03

I'm a firm believer in crank bros. pedals--I've raced cross on them for 2 seasons with no problems. One thing that I should note is that in order to use the pedals with most shoes you have to trim part of the sole away from the cleat, otherwise they are very hard to clip in and out of. Also, there is a break-in period of about 2-4weeks. Other than those two things, they are a lightweight, bombproof pedal!

$eboss the frenchy

by $eboss the frenchy

the best pedals are crank brothes!
the first version, 2 years ago had a little problem of beraings but since january i use crank brothers SS and no soucy I LIKE IT!

my next purshase :arrow: crank brothers triple ti 8)

mendy

by mendy

helle eboss i do agree, i have the 3TI and they are perfect

Ty

by Ty

Bebop SL's 195g a pair, Steel (!) axel, no Ti to flex here!, very good mud shedding, no weight limit, but take a little getting used to if you are coming from SPDs

cheeers

Ty

Ion

by Ion

Egg Beater hands down. I've tried Bebop, but couldn't get it to work properly. I believe my shoes were not compatible with them.

Ion

doktoree

by doktoree

I prefer CrankBrothers Egg Beater. Very simple in construction, easy to maintain. Perfect clipping in and out. Light weight esp. in Ti versions. I use upgraded Ti riding both xc and marathons. I weigh 58-60kg.
Attachments
CrankBros_EggBeaterTi_Tispindle.jpg

Phat Wookie

by Phat Wookie

I'd say TIME ATAC XS Ti Carbon is the nicest set of extensions to your crankset available, light enough, good looks and the best mud function design available.... Egg beaters?! (sigh) Use'em in the kitchen when you're bakin a cake! :twisted:
I may not be very good at what I do... But at least I'm slow!

jer

by jer

The eggbeaters are great if you don't mind popping out every time you smack a tree root with your pedal. :evil: Of course you have to be up on your wrenching skills too because to keep them light and simple C. Bros. didn't even use bearings on the inboard side of the pedal. :? I wonder how much of that efficiency you gained by the light weight is lost to increased friction. If you ride a lot you will be rebuilding them often! :evil: They do clear mud better than any though.

The jury is still our on the xpedos but they DO have three sets of bearings per pedal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

saletel

by saletel

i recall seeing a hop up kit for Atacs, it included aluminum pins and or a ti axle upgrade (depending on what version you have)

i thought it was a stans product but i couldnt find it. on their site. anyone?

i also vote atacs, all egg beaters i have seen in a used condition have been ragged out.