Mavic Crossmax SLR for V-Brakes - Real Weight 1460 grams

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Batas

by Batas

D.J. wrote:If you didn't have flex with custom wheels then it must be SLR's flexing. Could you just for test switch left and right side of front wheel and then see if there is more flex to left or right.

Probably I didn't expressed myself correctly, with the other wheels the flex is the same!

And yes, I switched the front wheel left and right side, it was the first thing I did, it ALWAYS goes to the left more when the fork is unlocked. The wheel is ok, the fork is flexy.

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

Batas

I noticed you use the Vuelta's............how do they stop for ya on those rims? what levers do you use? I use the Vuelta's with Extralite levers on my AC wheels, whcih weigh 1299 grams(front built with the micro hub). They stop OK.....I wish AC rims had the ceramic coating :evil:
to go faster....just pedal harder!

D.J.

by D.J.

Batas, I have SID Race, custom wheels and Tune AC16/17 and there is flex but equal to the left and right. It's not so much - I can live with that - my custom wheels are not very good and the part of the flex is from them for sure so I hope it would be less flex when I get SLR's.
I have BBB bolt-on skewers on my road bike so I will try to put front one on the SID and see if there is any difference.

Batas

by Batas

D.J. wrote:Batas, I have SID Race, custom wheels and Tune AC16/17 and there is flex but equal to the left and right. It's not so much - I can live with that - my custom wheels are not very good and the part of the flex is from them for sure so I hope it would be less flex when I get SLR's.
I have BBB bolt-on skewers on my road bike so I will try to put front one on the SID and see if there is any difference.

I believe that the SLR will be a bit more stiff than your current wheels... I also think that the Bolt On's help because you can apply much more torque to them compared to Quick Releases... Are you sure that you can't see more flex to the left? I'm almost certain that all sid's suffer from that... But yes, I can live with that...

Batas

by Batas

cyclemanpat wrote:Batas

I noticed you use the Vuelta's............how do they stop for ya on those rims? what levers do you use? I use the Vuelta's with Extralite levers on my AC wheels, whcih weigh 1299 grams(front built with the micro hub). They stop OK.....I wish AC rims had the ceramic coating :evil:

That was one of the main reason that lead me to the SLR wheels. They have ceramic coated rims and are true tubeless, no conversion needed, just sealant, and that makes them as light as a pair of 1300g wheels converted with notubes or such... Besides the Mavic hubs are durable, my previous wheels were 2001 first Mavic UST and they are still running, although on my brothers bike now...

Regarding to vueltas, I don't use them, they are on my brothers bike. I currently use Avid SD Ti brakes, wich are the best V's I've ever had. I can only compare them to the vueltas, since I went fot a ride on my brothers bike... Which now has ceramic rims too, and xtr levers... The vueltas brake is very good indeed! The following aspects that I noticed are compared to my Avids, so:

Braking Power: Vueltas and Avid on pair, VERY strong. On ceramic coated rims and nice weather, on pair with disc brakes, if not stronger than some. They both brake VERY well, although they have a diferent touch...

Weight: Vueltas win here. 262g agains 325g of my Avids. The Avids could be tunned with my Ti bolts from the Avids...

Ease of adjustment: Avids win here, hands down. They are much more precise to tunne. The Vueltas look a bit cheap on the tiny adjustment bolts, which are not so precise...

Stifness: Avids win here again. They are more stiff as the arms don't bend so much when braking, transmiting a more solid braking/touch.

General Quality: Avids again. My old avids have less play than the new Vueltas...

So, bottom point is, I will not get them for me, will wait for the KCNC combo (levers/brakes) to be availlable, and will reduce 230g from my bike, IF they proove to be worth (If so, will finnally be @ 8.5kg)

D.J.

by D.J.

Batas wrote:
D.J. wrote:Batas, I have SID Race, custom wheels and Tune AC16/17 and there is flex but equal to the left and right. It's not so much - I can live with that - my custom wheels are not very good and the part of the flex is from them for sure so I hope it would be less flex when I get SLR's.

I believe that the SLR will be a bit more stiff than your current wheels... I also think that the Bolt On's help because you can apply much more torque to them compared to Quick Releases... Are you sure that you can't see more flex to the left? I'm almost certain that all sid's suffer from that... But yes, I can live with that...

If there is different flex it's so little that I can't see it.