Question about suspension with two stage locking (axle to crown) shorten

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Decided to ask out there about this. I currently have a DT swiss EXC 150mm 26” Fork, best fork I’ve owned because of the Launch Control feature, allowing to semi lock at about 110mm (axle to crown reduced) or fully open at full 150mm, blow off valve also triggers to open depending on the terrain. I know DT swiss also made the 26” XMM 100mm model with a similar feature, locking at about 70mm (also axle to crown reduced) but it requires a cable actuated remote to unlock to 100m. (I’ve owned that fork in the past).

The QUESTION: Are there any other 26” Fork out there with a similar feature? ideally like the EXC model with just a button instead of a remote. My EXC fork is pretty light for 150mm, only 1583g, but overtime I’ve moved on from ENDURO MTB to something mild like XC type of riding, so I would not mind swapping it with something like the XMM model, 70mm/100mm locking modes, but I would try to also drop some weight in the process, maybe there is a 26” Fork out there in the 1300-1400g range doing this trick?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DanW

by DanW

I believe Magura used to do this too but I may be mistaken. Such a good feature on a fork- if you are going to lock it out at least preserve the geo!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

DanW wrote:I believe Magura used to do this too but I may be mistaken. Such a good feature on a fork- if you are going to lock it out at least preserve the geo!
The entire reason behind my question is because I’m a huge proponent of suspension forks on gravel bikes, not just 30-50mm, they should have at least 100mm, the real deal, and a feature that could allow it to lock at a lower axle crow, say at 70mm, it would keep the bike at a good geometry for road riding. That’s what we are missing in the industry right now.

I’m my case I am already using this concept on my monster gravel, but it’s the DT Swiss EXC 150mm, works great but I wouldn’t mind downsizing to something like 100mm, locked at 70mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro