2022 N+1 light trail bike beater options

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

prokyon

by prokyon

Hello, I need N+1 MTB advice: I currently ride a 100mm Specialized Chisel hardtail at 27+lbs, which is getting tiring... plus the bike limits me trying new trails and features.

I want:
- full suspension beater which I can train and ride trails on
- don't feel sorry about crashing (so up to XT-level spec, no Kashima, etc)
- can still ride in an XC MTB race (maybe place top 10 in Sport 1 hour race)
- preferably has slack head tube angle (feel free to suggest whether this is important) and stable
- can handle a 6 foot drop (right now I do 4 foot drops on my hardtail)
- generaly I want the bike to unlock more technical riding, yet still be XC and bike park (nothing big, just green and some blue) capable.

So far the reviews seem to suggest Canyon Spectral 125 CF 8 can be made into a sub-30 pounder just by swapping out the wheels and tires (which I already own), yet the bike can even handle a bike park.

What bike should I get? Should I get a 120mm XC rig? A mini Enduro like Spectral? Any particular models that come to mind? Eventually I want to get an Epic Evo Pro for XC racing, but I'd hate to crash that bike, plus there's zero room for error on more technical features with that bike. Wih Spectral I feel like I can mess up and have the bike still compensate.

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

The new Stumpjumper is 130mm rear travel, but it gets rave reviews about how all-round it is. Id start with that as a main option and shop around that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prokyon

by prokyon

Yeah, makes sense - I also can't find a lot of weight info on the Pro vs Expert version of Stumpjumper - it seems like they're both around 27 lbs which is hella light for a trail bike and a bit on the heavy side of XC...

prokyon

by prokyon

I weighted a stock Stumpy Expert S3 with pedals at 29.5lbs today - can easily drop 2 pounds by putting on an XC wheelset with XC tubeless tires.

What trail bikes out there have better power transfer? I tried both Top Fuel and Fuel EX and they seem to power transfer a lot better than Stumpy even when I locked Stumpy's rear shock completely (LBS setup though, so not sure how much air pressure was in the shock).

prebsy

by prebsy

I went through a lot of iterations of trying to find one bike in the middle. I had a '22 stumpy with fast tires and 27lbs but it's still slow as S**T compared to my xc bike uphill , traversing or on mellow downhills. If you really want to race xc i would buy an xc bike. Scott Spark would be my choice, even the last generation 120/120 .... new top fuel is a good choice as well.... and right on the fringe of trail bike the rocky mountain element.

prokyon

by prokyon

Yeah, the Element just needs a 4 piston front caliper upgrade and better wheels - easy to do given how cheap it already is and I already have an XC wheelset. How is it in terms of traction on the technical (rocky) climbs?

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Revel Ranger is a great little trail bike that can be raced xc. The cbf suspension climbs chunky trails like nothing I've ever ridden.

damiancd

by damiancd

imo NS Synonym/Ghost Lector FS/Scott Spark '22 would be a great fit here :) Search for something with modern/slack geometry

DanW

by DanW

Yeah I was going to suggest the Vitus Rapide/ NS Synonym/ Carbonda frame (they are all the same) run at 120/ 120. That could be built pretty easily to 24/25 lbs and quite a bit lighter still for not too much more money.

The bad news is a bike doesn't compensate for skillz

prokyon

by prokyon

I'm looking at riding some rocky technical terrain here in New England as well - I think the new redesigned Element C50 is perfect with slack 65 degree head tube angle, efficient power transfer and ability to run 2.6 inch tires and both 27.6 and 29 inch wheels. Of course it's completely sold out everywhere...

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

My 2022 S3 stumpjumper is 25.7lbs with 870g tires a pike and a quarq power meter. I built it for technical trail riding but want to throw some lighter tires on it and do some XC racing.

prokyon

by prokyon

OnTheRivet wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:34 pm
My 2022 S3 stumpjumper is 25.7lbs with 870g tires a pike and a quarq power meter. I built it for technical trail riding but want to throw some lighter tires on it and do some XC racing.
What build level do you have? Pro? Expert? Comp?

Karvalo

by Karvalo

prokyon wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:35 am
What trail bikes out there have better power transfer? I tried both Top Fuel and Fuel EX and they seem to power transfer a lot better than Stumpy even when I locked Stumpy's rear shock completely (LBS setup though, so not sure how much air pressure was in the shock).
Jesus. There is absolutely no point testing bikes without at least a base suspension setup for your weight, and if the LBS didn't do that with you they're lazy AF.

The Stumpy should be really responsive on the pedals.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

What the?
Last edited by OnTheRivet on Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Double

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com