Best XC Stem - Intend Grace or something else?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

js

by js

I've spent enough time on my new build to confirm that my cockpit is just as I'd like it, so the 77mm Intend Grace XC Stem seems like it would be a perfect fit.

The look and weight of the Grace are amazing - I really like how clean it looks when mounted and the crazy-light weight is obviously a bonus. My understanding from the limited reviews I've found is that the stiffness is on point as well - I'm coming from a Thomson, so that's appreciated.

What I'm struggling with is the price. Most of us spend ridiculous amounts on our bikes on this forum, and I'm no different - but it's $300 to get that thing into Canada, which for a stem is really stretching me - especially when I can get a Thomson for $100, which I understand to be at least as stiff. It just doesn't have that super-clean look.

Is there anything else worth considering? Does anyone else make glossy two-bolt stems in XC lengths that are seriously stiff?

thegolfather

by thegolfather

I am very happy with my Extralite Hyper Stem Stealth 40mm , 31 grams

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scant

by scant

a thomson stem will always be stiffer than a lightweight stem of equal length. I'm going through a similiar quandary myself. potentially changing my wren stem for a darimo (alu) purely for a slightly lower handlebar height

js

by js

Thanks for the replies.

I think the clean look of the 2-bolt design is the only thing that's pulling me away from the Thomson. And while I agree that super-light stems aren't likely to be as stiff as the Thomson, it's such a clearly stated goal of the Intend design that I'm left to wonder.

If Specialized were telling me about the tree root design, I'd be skeptical af, but this dude doesn't seem to have much for marketing, so if he's looking into it, I assume it's for an engineering advantage. It also makes sense to me that skipping bolts on the upper section of the bar clamp would keep things stronger (or at least explain weight savings for the same strength). The biggest gain I could see over Thomson though is the bar clamp width, which seems at least 1/3 wider - so that wider support should give better stiffness.

But I've never seen test results for any of the intend stems to back this up. Even subjective reviews are near-impossible to find.

Attermann

by Attermann

rapsac

by rapsac

On the German mtb forum you can find some user reviews. Some good (no issues, nice looks and weight) and some bad (vertical slippage of steerer clamp due to lack of stiffness of the dual thin clamp elements, leading to headset play after rocky descents).
Have used Intend Grace XC, Intend Grail, Extralite Hyperstem and Newmen Evolution 4 bolt SL. Still using the latter two without issues.

req110

by req110

Attermann wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:49 pm
https://r2-bike.com/NEWMEN-Stem-Evoluti ... mm-6-90-mm

i really like the look of these.
I have it on my epic in 70mm/-17deg and it's ok. Weight was around 85g i think.

I removed decals with acetone so it's all black.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
SW Epic 8 Satin Carbon L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p SID Ultimate / in the making

Hexsense

by Hexsense

All stems mentioned above are too tall for my XC.

I'm using the porky FSA SLK-Drop stem at 150g-ish (despite this short length).
The stem main body is physically -20 degree, with additional downward offset at the clamp. Making it virtually steeper than -35 degree stem at the bar clamp. They shape it this way to give some clearance between headtube and stem. A straight stem at this angle would collide with the headtube edge.
CVT01480.jpg

js

by js

rapsac wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:51 am
On the German mtb forum you can find some user reviews. Some good (no issues, nice looks and weight) and some bad (vertical slippage of steerer clamp due to lack of stiffness of the dual thin clamp elements, leading to headset play after rocky descents).
Have used Intend Grace XC, Intend Grail, Extralite Hyperstem and Newmen Evolution 4 bolt SL. Still using the latter two without issues.
It looks like Cornelius did his best to address the slippage issues pretty directly here - https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=495122554384865
That's a video I definitely wouldn't have found without your help, so thank you.

Do you have any impressions from the riding you did on the Grace XC? I appreciate stems can often be 'it did it's job and I didn't notice anything else', but I'd be keen to hear first hand experience. As well if there was any reason that you stuck with the Extralite and Newmen options instead of the Grace.

Thank you again.

rapsac

by rapsac

The Newmen stem is on my wife’s bike, I use the Extralite stem. Did not have problems with the Intend stem, just preferred the look of the Extralite more. The boxy look didn’t appeal to me after a while - yes I know… ;-)

thegolfather

by thegolfather

I use the extralite hyperstem with no issues

Femboy

by Femboy

either get the kalloy uno and save hella money (20 dollars on aliexpress!) or get the extralite hyperstem and save some weight

vrapo

by vrapo

Did you look into Darimo option?

GPetsis

by GPetsis

I use the Newmen sl318.2.
Very light stem,85gr for -6⁰ and 80gr.
Very stable and nice price, around 80€ and Titanium hardware.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aeo

by Aeo

I have the Intend, works very well. Only downside, it is wide so computer mounts do not sit in the center and the large cutouts let in a lot of water
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14