Maxxis Aspen 2.4wt vs Maxxis Recon Race 2.35

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

la85

by la85

Anyone had experience with tyres?
I have a set of each and haven't ridden yet. Maxxis says the recon race is a rear only. When pumped up the recon race looks more grippy than the aspen.

Has anyone got experience of either of these sets? Which one would be grippier on the front in mixed trail conditions?

Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stoney

by stoney

I don't have any experience but many of the guys I race/ride XC with use the Rekon Race, front and back. They like it.

js

by js

I've ridden the Recon Race for a few years. Only a bit on the front, and constantly on the back (I prefer an Icon front for general riding). If I were only racing, I'd think about the Recon Race / Aspen as a Front/Rear combo, since I'm not sure I'd be fully comfortable racing (and braking) with the Aspen on the front. In mixed conditions with anything remotely loose, the Recon Race has far more to bite with than the Aspen.

It may also be worth noting that I'm convince the tread on the Recon Race WT 2.4 tires I'd currently riding is a bit deeper, grippier than the older 2.35 version I'd ridden in past years.

fa63

by fa63

The Aspens came stock on the Santa Cruz Blur I bought a while ago. They were fine in dry conditions but absolutely horrifying in the wet. I also found them to be very sensitive to pressure.

If you want Maxxis, I would also recommend Ikon front / Rekon Race rear combo for general riding. It is one of my favorite combinations. For non-Maxxis, I also like Schwalbe Racing Ray / Racing Ralph and Vittoria Barzo / Mezcal combinations.