Fork choice for a On-One Whippet

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SgtRock

by SgtRock

Hi

I am looking to buy a On-One Whippet Frame (When they are back in stock or I can pick one up on ebay) to build a light XC rig and was wondering what experience or advice anyone has had with a 120mm fork rather than the 100mm fork that Planet X spec as standard with a full bike.

The head angle on a size large frame is 69.5 degrees and from my understanding 20mm increase in travel will modify the effective head angle by one degree to 68.5 degrees. Riding will be up in the Peaks / Pennines Bridleway - really looking to extend my off road riding which at the moment is gravel based but want to do some rougher stuff / have more comfort without a big weight penalty - not interested in Enduro etc but thought a bit more travel would potentially be work considering - would a 120mm fork give more stability and control?

Any thoughts or recommendations would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

If you want to do rougher stuff in the Peaks and not be very limited on either which trails and bridleways you can descend or how fast you can descend them I personally wouldn't be looking at any kind of carbon XC hardtail. If you let the bike pick up any sort of speed even on relatively non technical downhills you will quite likely have reasonable size rocks flicking up and bouncing off the bottom of the bike on a regular basis.

If you do go with it anyway then a longer fork will have the effect you mention. Be aware it would also put more stress on the headtube, it's basically trying to lever the lower race away from the rest of the frame and the design may or may not have taken this into account if the bike was only intended for 100mm. If you've already got a gravel bike for smooth trails I'd personally look for one of the many aluminum or steel trail hardtails that are designed from the ground up with the strength and geometry to deal with rougher and tougher trails.

But at the end of the day it depends on which trails you plan to ride and how you want to ride them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SgtRock

by SgtRock

Thanks for the feedback. The frame is rated for a 120mm fork so should be ok with your point about stress - it just comes as standard with a 100mm fork. Re stone hits fair point but I'm already doing the same routes on my carbon gravel bike and not hanging aroud - it is a challenge and I do get stone strikes but I can live with that. Steel is not on the agenda because I want a light agile build hopefully with improved control and comfort over my gravel ride.