Cleat plates and carbon soled shoes?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ms6073

by ms6073

Has anyone ever modified/expanded the slots for the cleat plates on carbon soled shoes? Wife has a 2-year old version of the Specialized Recon mountain bike shoes and Shimano XTR M9100 pedals which she uses for gravel riding. Problem is that she because of her her highly calibrated knees, prefers a forward/KOPS cleat position and even with the cleat positoned all the way forward, compared to her Speedplay Zero road setup, the XTR cleat still needs to be further forward. So the question is has anyone ever etended the slots on carbon soled shoes?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

Yes.
Used a 6mm Dremel grinding thing. Sprayed a bit of water on it to keep it cool and keep the dust down.
Sealed the fresh edges with a bit of super glue.
Make sure the recessed pocket inside the sole of the shoe has enough space to allow the cleat plate to slide further forward. The one I did had about 5 mm spare.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Awesome. Thanks.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"