Help choosing wheels?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

politbureau

by politbureau

Hey all! First post here, but been a longtime lurker 😆

My wife and I are upgrading our old 9spd 26ers to lighten them up and get back into riding after a nearly 10 year hiatus.

The question I have is about wheels and tires - I've got a couple wheel- and tire-sets that I have picked up in the intervening years, and we're trying to figure out which setup is better suited for which rider, and I'm looking for some guidance! I am 205lbs geared up and ride a FS XC bike, and the wife is 130 and rides a carbon hardtail xc.

For wheels, we have a set of WH-M965 XTRs, and a set of Chris King ISO Disc hubs laced to Stan's ZTR Olympics.

For Tires we've got a pair of Geax Barro Marathon TNT F2.3/R2.1, and a Kenda Kharisma Lite F2.1/Nevegal L3R Pro R1.95.

My original thought was to put the XTRs and narrower Kendas on my wife's bike, and the ZTRs and wider geax on mine, but my main concern is about strength.

Does anyone have any experience with these wheels or tires? Any help is appreciated!

js

by js

Shimano wheels have earned a reputation for being very strong. Stan's ZTR Olympic have a rep for the opposite - crazy light, but crazy soft too - such that I know to stay away from them, and I'm pretty close to your weight. As such, I'd swap the wheels the other way around, but you keeping the extra tire volume makes sense.

So my recommendation would be:
Your wheels - XTR/Geax
Wife wheels - King-Stans/Kenda

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

politbureau

by politbureau

js wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 2:30 pm
Shimano wheels have earned a reputation for being very strong. Stan's ZTR Olympic have a rep for the opposite - crazy light, but crazy soft too - such that I know to stay away from them, and I'm pretty close to your weight. As such, I'd swap the wheels the other way around, but you keeping the extra tire volume makes sense.

So my recommendation would be:
Your wheels - XTR/Geax
Wife wheels - King-Stans/Kenda
Thank you! I had a suspicion that would be the case... I'll def go that route for now - I have a set of XM819Disc rims on XT hubs as well, but the hubs are somewhat shot - I'll look at relacing the King hubs onto the 819s next season, then we'll have 2 sets of strong wheels, and I think the 819s are only ~120g heavier than the ZTRs, so no big deal.

I had also considered tire inserts, but have never used them before.

Thanks for the feedback! VERY appreciated!

farsportssandy

by farsportssandy

If the rims are not decided, ok to check here: oem.farsports.cn. It's ok to buy rims only to lace your CK hub. We have Sapim spokes at hand too.

通过我的 CDY-AN90 上的 Tapatalk发言