Syncros Silverton SL2 30mm - Scott/SRAM

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

JVF

by JVF

I know there was a previous thread discussing the merit or otherwise of the Syncros Silverton SL2 wheels. However, there was little anecdotal evidence available from users. We know that Tom Pidcock freely selected to use these wheels with great success. Empirical evidence! We know that Nino opted not to use these wheels as the 2021 season progressed. Yet, the recent Scott/SRAM bikes of both Schurter and Lars Forster feature these wheels - at least in the promotional releases. But, are either of them actually using them in races? What is going on? And, why? I am about to pull the trigger on a Spark RC SL with these wheels and I would very much appreciate to hear the opions of forum members.

cula_ru

by cula_ru

Can you get the bike in the first place?
I've been told by the importer that they don't know when the Spark RC SL will be available or if it will be available at all.
About the wheels I think Scott athletes use different wheels based on the track they're running.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JVF

by JVF

Thank you for your reply. Yes, fortunately, I placed an early order and my bike shop was successful in securing a bike in my size. As you know, this model is extremely scarce, I may have the only medium in the country. Regarding the use of the wheels, it may be track dependent. It will be interesting to see if Nino or Lars use the Silverton SL2 30 mm specced on their pimped bikes in races. (Cape Epic?) Nino's form improved significantly during the latter part of the 2021 season, after he first raced the new bike with these wheels, perhaps affecting his perception of their perfromance. Certainly, Pidcock's blistering success with these wheels on challenging courses, including his emphatic win at the olympics, confounded any doubters.

cula_ru

by cula_ru

It's great that you have the bike secured. Do you know when you'll get it? Where are you from?
I tried to secure one but I don't know if I'll get it or not. Importer doesn't know when the bike will arrive or if will arrive at all. Bike shop knows nothing also so far. :roll:

Race season is starting and Andri Frischknecht already won on the Silverton SL2 at Proffix Swiss Bike Cup today.
Check the race
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR-b0X6evik
And his profile:
https://www.instagram.com/jrf94/

Also curious about wich wheels the'll be using on Cape Epic. I bet they'll run on the Sylverton 1.0S, it's a longer race with greater probability to have mechanical issues and steel spokes do not crack like carbon spokes. But let's see.
For sure it's a more efficient wheelset than others and will give the athletes that feeling of better power transfer but it's a small part of the whole bike-rider system.

JVF

by JVF

I've been told the arrival of the bike is imminent — within the next couple of weeks. Actually, earlier than anticipated. Time will tell! I'm located in Australia. Thanks for sending the links. Good to see Frischknecht winning on these wheels. Your comment about the selection of wheels for a longer stage race, like the Epic, is interesting. Apparently, (according to Syncros) the SS SL2 30 mm carbon spokes are stronger than steel spokes. However, I'm not sure about the comparative consequences of a broken or cracked spoke of carbon vs steel in a race. Certainly, the fully moulded carbon wheels represent a disadvantage in terms of repairability.

cula_ru

by cula_ru

Nice. Don't forget to post some photos when you get the bike.

Looks like I was right, they're going to Cape Epic with Silverton 1.0S for better comfort...
Makes little sense when riding a 120mm full suspension.
https://youtu.be/cSO8o6KoZps

JVF

by JVF

Yes, indeed you were correct in predicting the Scott-SRAM team would use the Silverton 1.0-S wheels. However, hardly a surprise for Nino, who has opted to use these wheels over the Silverton SL2 30 for some time. It seems, unlike Pidcock who rode these wheels with great success, he never liked or adapted to the feel after early trials on the new Spark. Hence, the official statement delivered by Yanick: that Nino has opted for 'the Silverton 1.0-S which is a slightly more comfortable...'. I'm please that Scott has dropped some of the pretence that Nino, et al. are using the SL2 30 wheels — although, unlike in the video, the promotional photos still show their bikes with the SL 30 wheels:
https://en.brujulabike.com/nino-schurte ... ith-yanic/

cula_ru

by cula_ru

Interesting indeed that in the promo photos they use the SL2 wheels. Maybe the riders don't like the wheels that much but scott still needs to promote and sell them.
Hope I can test the theory soon :)

JVF

by JVF

Well, look at the wheels Nino rode to his victory in Petropolis: https://www.instagram.com/p/CcL6IdaMlY2/
Something or someone induced him to reconsider, and it paid dividends! Interesting!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cula_ru

by cula_ru

JVF wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:20 am
Well, look at the wheels Nino rode to his victory in Petropolis: https://www.instagram.com/p/CcL6IdaMlY2/
Something or someone induced him to reconsider, and it paid dividends! Interesting!
It was an easy choice for that kind of track. He even rode slick tires or very close to slick.