Cleaning XX1 Powerdome Cassettes

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

js

by js

Hi All - this may be a really simple answer, but I'm guessing there are a few WWs who have struggled with this, so I'm hoping there are some good ideas that can be shared.

I have an XX1 cassette on my mountain bike. I love the design - strength, longevity and flawless alignment all in one - but I struggle with no being able to access the backside of the cogs for cleaning. I have an ultrasonic cleaner, and it's easy enough to clean the outside face of the cassette, but the old trick of running a rag through the teeth really isn't enough to dislodge the build-up from the back of the teeth.

My guess is that a pressure washer may work, but I don't have one of those and hope there's something a bit more accessible that works.

Anyone have any tricks to share?

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

Paintbrush and degreaser...
Then a rinse in hot soapy water

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VamP

by VamP

And once clean, start using molten wax - makes future maintenance so much easier

Marin

by Marin

2 easy options:

1) Leave it dirty
2) Dishwasher

js

by js

I actually thought about a dishwasher - I don't use it for anything else. Marin, have you actually done that?

Marin

by Marin

js wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:42 pm
I actually thought about a dishwasher - I don't use it for anything else. Marin, have you actually done that?
No, but if I can put plastic containers in there and they survive it, a machined piece of steel should do fine.

I have a few of these cassettes (3 XX1, 1 GX, 1 Leonardi, 1 3T, 2 Ryet, 2 e*13) and I never clean them - not really necessary with dry lube and my dirt tolerance.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

Depends how your components like being blasted with hot salty water for an hour...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com