Race hardtail 2022?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I'd love to get back into mountain biking now that our kids are starting to be a bit more independent (we have three girls aged 5, 2, 2).

What bikes should be on my shortlist (29" hardtails)?
- Cannondale Scalpel HT Hi-mod 1
- Specialized Epic HT
- Trek?
- What else?

Which bikes would be possible to get hold of? I've heard the Cannondale is going to be difficult. Im in Denmark.

I'm looking for something with as much tire clearance as possible, as I like to run wide tires. So any thoughts on this will be appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sulliesbrew

by Sulliesbrew

BMC TwoStroke
Pactimo Brand Ambassador, ask me about a Promo code

stoney

by stoney

Specialized Epic HT...love mine.

VamP

by VamP

Availability is the biggest issue right now. I went through a similar process a few months ago, except I was open to full suss XC bikes as well, and I ended buying purely based on availability because I managed to find what was possibly the last Scott Spark RC in my size in the UK. Maybe things are better in Denmark, but Trek were telling me 12-14 months for the Supercaliber, Specialized weren't much better, and even Canyon kept shifting their delivery dates ever further and further.

I am loving the Spark RC though, so even though that wasn't my first choice it goes to show that you should love the bike you're with :-D

Benbo

by Benbo

Not a hardtail but I just bought a Santa Cruz blur XC. Can be pretty light if you go with the CC frame. I need a little more suspension for the riding I do and would rather go gravel than hardtail.

njleach

by njleach

Santa Cruz Highball?
Canyon Exceed?

teakay

by teakay

I am in a similar position. I have a Spark on order for next year- Trek suggested similar weights if I put an order in for a Supercaliber. So I have ordered a Scale that was in stock to build up. I thought then I could transfer dome of the lighter parts onto the Spark next year - wheels etc.

CrossRoadLight

by CrossRoadLight

Just ordered a canyon exceed the GG had most sizes in stock. Decent value it seems.

02GF74

by 02GF74

+1 for mondraker podium SL

Also take a look at KTM Myroon... but if you want ultimate lightness, keep away from RS1 fork. I have matching RS1 on mine, bought for the novelty as never had upside-down forks before but the choice of front wheel is very limited due to hub and whilst I'm perfectly happy with their operation, they're not the lightest.

Both are European brand (Spain and Austria respectively) so I'd expect better availability than in the UK

Femboy

by Femboy

Build a Chinese carbon frame (airwolf t1000) or a specialized epic ht or mondraker podium frame but I'd save my money and go for the Chinese carbon
Chinese carbon wheels: aerolite spokes dt240 or 350s(180s are overpriced unless your at the highest end) and some 25-30mm internal rims or bontrager xxx and swap to 180s if your ballin still tho I'd save my money
Rockshox sid sl (ultimate or select+) great fork and not too pricey
Kalloy uno stem (I'd recommend taking the logos off with paint/nail polish remover and replacing the bolts with black/colored ones for aesthetic reasons and it gets to 88g) or a hyperstem with the extralite ch-01 Garmin mount if your ballin
MT zoom flat bars are light, cheap, and plenty stiff or the schmolke tlo flatbars if your ballin still tho I'd go for the mt zooms
For drivetrain I would go for 11 speed (gx to xx1 depending on budget) but I would get the Cannondale hollowgram cranks with a power meter from stages or on the high end you can get a thm clavicula (you gotta got a stupid amount of money for these) or something from Easton with a power meter
You can also go for a garburuck cassette if you have the money
For chainrings I'm running an absolute black oval but if you don't use oval go for the fsa afterburner one cause it's mad cheap and works good. Also the garburuck ones if you wanna save weight
Seatpost is down to preference but I would go for an elita one seatpost for most or go for darimo/extra light/schmolke
For the saddle it's all preference I like bontrager but it's your choice (berk lupinas nice to)
Everything else is your choice
Extras: get into immersive waxing to make your chains and drivetrain last longer and be more effecient to or go for silca synergetic oil if you don't wanna.
Ight that's it have a good one

cfrankscid

by cfrankscid

I was having the same conundrum in 2020...so ordered this in 2020....and it finally shipped out today. Geometry is a modified version of the Epic HT geo. Will post a full review when I receive it in a couple days.

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

cfrankscid wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:50 pm
I was having the same conundrum in 2020...so ordered this in 2020....and it finally shipped out today. Geometry is a modified version of the Epic HT geo. Will post a full review when I receive it in a couple days.

SUPERnice! Great to see Boston bikemakers represented. Firefly is a heritage close to my heart, having worked in Somerville bike shops. Can't wait to hear your impressions and I'm super jealous. Enjoy!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com