Best clean setup external seat stay rear brake routing

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

LouisN

by LouisN

I just discovered that my frame (old school generic) doesn't allow enough openings for my housings/hoses :(.
My only chooice without drilling the frame would be to route the rear brake through the top tube, the "old school way". Then I guess I would attach the hose to the left seatstay all the way to the rear caliper.

So the question is: Is there some fixing material that looks more clean and professional than plain tie-wraps ?
Thanks for your contribution :beerchug: .

Louis :)

thewoodsman

by thewoodsman

You can use a non-permanent adhesive, something that can be cleaned off your bike with a solvent that will not damage your frame. I have run cables like this for a while...used a silicone-based adhesive (specifically, the stuff they make for attaching garage door thresholds to concrete, but only because I had some), little dots of it every 4 inches or so. needed to reapply every few months.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Do the above, but still use zip tie as safety measure in specific locations (two end of top tube, and one on seatstay).
You definitely don't want the whole length of hose to detach and tangle mid ride.

02GF74

by 02GF74

How old skool is it?

If it has slotted end stops for brake cable, then these can be opened out by drilling and filing.

Also there are adapters that fit in them to hold through routed hoses.

LouisN

by LouisN

02GF74 wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:27 pm
How old skool is it?
Yeah it has slotted end stops for both top tube (old school 2-3 chainrings top swing FD I guess), but also I just noticed the RIGHT side also has slotted end stops, I don't like that type of routing :? . I'll have to route the dropper post housing on the left side, and cut the inner hose (that was designed to have the rear brake, without dropper... :?
I'm planning on drilling the top tube holes to route the rear brake hose. I'll probably cover the rear seat stay portion with heat shrink tape above the clamped areas.
Louis :)