DMT WKM1 Winter shoe

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

NotYou

by NotYou

Hi all,
I'm currently in the market for an SPD-compatible Winter shoe and am looking at the DMT WKM1 as best candidate currently. However there don't seem to be many reviews or tests of them.
As such, has anyone here any experience with them, or can highly recommend any other shoes suited for a temperature range around -5/±5°C and with decent protection against wind, water and snow?

js

by js

No experience with DMT, but I've worn the Shimano MW7 for the past few years, both for daily commutes and fun rides. They may be a bit warm if you only need to cover -5/+5c, but if your feet run cold or you have lots of precipitation - either down or up in the form of sleet or slush on the roads - they could be the right option.

I'm in Winnipeg, Canada, where winter temps drop low (-40c at worst, before windchill), but it's generally dry. I put warmer packs in my toes on the coldest days, or if I'm going to be out for a longer ride, but these shoes are awesome. There's a bit more volume in the shoes, so I wear the same size as I do in S-Phyre race shoes, but can comfortably fit heavy wool socks inside.

On spring rides when it's wet, I've stepped in puddles or ditches and they've kept my foot dry, so the Gore-Tex protection on them is certainly doing it's job.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

I liked the look of the DMT. But due to availability and not being able to try them on, and being a bit pricey I went with Bontrager JFW. I haven't had a chance to wear them yet. I did buy and return the new Giro Blaze shoes. They were bad. They looked like baggy bags on my feet. So stay away from them. The upper was also too tight around my calves/shins with regular sized legs. I didn't like the pull string tightening either. I tried in the Fizik winter artica X5. They were better than the blaze but still with the draw string. One pair I did like but was a bit pricey was Crono CW1. Fit well even with wideish feet. But too pricey.

Options:
Bontrager JFW (bought, haven't tried yet)
Giro blaze (bad all around)
Crono CW1 (fit good but pricey)
Fizik artica X5 (okay but not great)
DMT WKM1 (look good, haven't tried)
45nrth ragnarok (haven't tried)
northwave extreme (haven't tried)

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

Some pics of the blaze and Crono.
Attachments
662AC185-F18B-4CFC-9633-B31FAAB17FE1.jpeg
54E7BF4B-5463-4A48-8A4D-D4E1FF81B009.jpeg
89C29C49-96AE-4109-9D9C-C23BDBF50126.jpeg
8F4EEE28-C74D-4303-8D4F-F74B4B8458F1.jpeg
FAB7FD29-E558-4919-BEC4-A585CAF86938.jpeg

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I tried a bunch of these... most of them are probably OK for "UK winter" where it's just 5c-10c and rainy, but none of them are really any warmer. Of them, the best of the bunch seemed to be Sidi's gore offering, Lake's offerings, and Mavic's crossmax CM. The rest tend to be just as uncomfortable as overshoes, insulate the inside of an existing shoe last eatting away at the room in there, and have bad soles/buckles.

What does work are better overshoes and insoles on your regular shoes provided you can seal all the vents (road shoes). Gore makes some nice soft softshell overshoes. Lake sells some nice isolating insoles.

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

I have a pair of the Fizik Artica X5's. I use them on my gravel bike and fat bike. They keep my feet warm yet dry. They do the job plus I did get a very good price on them.

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

I ended up returning the Bontrager JFW. the heel hold was terrible. They fit well but on bike my heels would not stay down. The single boa dial and flap/strap did not work out. I also assume they reduced the heel cup and made it flatter so it was easier to get in and out of. In the end, rode them once, and returned under bontrager 30 day guarantee. They were decently warm on my single ride in around 32*F/0*C. So if you have fat heels these may work lol! Back on the hunt.

js

by js

Just found this online and figured I'd post it in this thread, as it has quite a few winter shoes rated and compared.

https://www.mountainbike-magazin.de/zub ... -Kauftipp)

Google Translate in Chrome does a great job of translation if (like me) you don't read German. And it seems their expeince with the JFW was similar to yours woody.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

NotYou wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:21 pm
Hi all,
I'm currently in the market for an SPD-compatible Winter shoe and am looking at the DMT WKM1 as best candidate currently. However there don't seem to be many reviews or tests of them.
As such, has anyone here any experience with them, or can highly recommend any other shoes suited for a temperature range around -5/±5°C and with decent protection against wind, water and snow?
I've never found any of these winter shoes worth a damn. The might be OK for 10c-15c and rain, but not really winter. I've found the higher end shoe covers do better in the cold and are more comfortable. I'm using gore Softshell covers and they are better insulated and more comfortable than the Lake winter boots I had. Putting the insultation on the outside of the shoe is the way to go.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com