Giant XTC Advanced SL 29 1

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

thegolfather

by thegolfather

I bought this bike in 2021 and my brother bought the SL 0 with full XTR components. My bike has the XT components. My brothers bike is double the price of mine. Now I am trying to see if I can make my bike as good and lighter than his at a lesser cost. I do not really race or go hard on my bike.

These are the stock components of my bike.

FRAME Advanced SL-Grade Composite
FORK RockShox SID SL Select, 100mm, Charger 2 RL damper, 44mm offset,
15x110 Maxle Stealth, remote lockout

COMPONENTS
HANDLEBAR Giant Contact SL XC Flat, 750x31.8
STEM Giant Contact SL
SEATPOST Giant Contact Switch, 100mm, 30.9, Shimano remote
SADDLE Giant Contact SL (neutral) (replaced with Selle Italia)
PEDALS Stamp

DRIVETRAIN
SHIFTERS Shimano Deore XT
FRONT DERAILLEUR N/A
REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano Deore XT
BRAKES Shimano Deore XT (replaced brake rotors to Aishima Ai2) (waiting on the Piccola Carbon calipers)
BRAKE LEVERS Shimano Deore XT

CASSETTE Shimano Deore XT, 10x51 (replaced with garbaruk casette)
CHAIN KMC X-12 (replaced with Shimano XTR chain)
CRANKSET Shimano Deore XT, 34t (replaced chainring with garbaruk chain ring)
BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano, press fit

WHEELS
RIMS Giant XCR-1 29 WheelSystem
HUBS Giant XCR-1 29 WheelSystem
SPOKES Giant XCR-1 29 WheelSystem
TIRES Maxxis Aspen 29x2.25, foldable, TLR, EXO, tubeles

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thegolfather

by thegolfather

Here are some pictures of the upgrades
Attachments
20210723_170259.jpg
IMG-20210706-WA0008.jpeg
IMG_20211128_172500_610.jpg
IMG_20211128_172500_642.jpg

thegolfather

by thegolfather

at my level of riding the garbaruk cassette shifting did not make much difference. My bike now is about 20 lbs now or 9.7 kg next is the Piccola Carbon Brakes

hannawald

by hannawald

Xt vs xtr weight almost the same...for some bigger gains maybe Sid SL Ultimate, but a lot of $$$. You can loose up to 250g with different wheelset. Not saying you will feel those changes, but if you need nice scale picture..:)
Also different pedals would suit your bike better.

thegolfather

by thegolfather

hannawald wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:05 pm
Xt vs xtr weight almost the same...for some bigger gains maybe Sid SL Ultimate, but a lot of $$$. You can loose up to 250g with different wheelset. Not saying you will feel those changes, but if you need nice scale picture..:)
Also different pedals would suit your bike better.
Yeah I was looking at that SID Ultimate and the HT Components ME03T Magnesium/Ti pedals. Is the Schmolte carbon handle bar a good one?

hannawald

by hannawald

I would say very expensive:) There are many XC bars around 130g with half the price. I would rather invest in wheels, because there is a lot of potential. Hard to say how much you get by selling yours. But they are around 1600g if I googled correctly.
Why you don´t buy spd pedals for such the XC rocket?

thegolfather

by thegolfather

hannawald wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:57 am
I would say very expensive:) There are many XC bars around 130g with half the price. I would rather invest in wheels, because there is a lot of potential. Hard to say how much you get by selling yours. But they are around 1600g if I googled correctly.
Why you don´t buy spd pedals for such the XC rocket?
I am new to the MTB world, what wheels would you recommend? By wheels is that the hub, spokes, rim and tyres? You are right 1600g.I am not selling my old parts but I am building another bike but with an aluminum frame and using all the parts I am taking off from my carbon framed bike. What do you mean by spd pedals?Thank you and Happy Holidays!

hannawald

by hannawald

I mean clip in/clipless pedals, not the platforms you have...
Something like Shimano XTR pedals. It's really rare to see platform pedals on hi-end xc bike, they are used by tourist or for trail riding where pedalling efficiency is not important...

I don't have any wheel recommendation (currently on Alchemist rims with Newmen hubs because I bought this wheelset cheap), depends on your budget, but something around 1350-1400g would be ok for me. It's quite popular to have the wheelset built from parts. You can't make mistake with DT hubs, CX Ray/Aerolite spokes and rims according to your budget. Light Bicycle is a proven source of great rims (for many mand years, you can find threads here). Or something more fancy for more money...
Rims for xc should be at least 25mm wide internally but it is getting wider and wider so it is getting into trail territory now and people buy rims with 30mm internal width. Depends what terrain you ride, 25mm will be a bit lighter and ok for 2,25 wide tires but the trend is making xc bikes more like trail bikes - slacker ht angles, wider rims, tires... I am not persuaded but I don't ride demanding terrain.
Happy Holiday:)

hannawald

by hannawald

Btw where are you from?
How much do you weight?
I wouldn't go to the extremes of tuning mtb with the lightest parts...Really light ok, but not the lightest:)
You will see if Ashima rotors work for you, but they can be easilly replaced. But with more expensive parts I would choose something solid...I wouldn't buy wheels with 85 kgs weight limit, normal wheels are not that much heavier - 1300-1400g range and at least 110kg weight limit, anything narrower than 25mm internal width is considered old school now:)

thegolfather

by thegolfather

hannawald wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:41 am
Btw where are you from?
How much do you weight?
I wouldn't go to the extremes of tuning mtb with the lightest parts...Really light ok, but not the lightest:)
You will see if Ashima rotors work for you, but they can be easilly replaced. But with more expensive parts I would choose something solid...I wouldn't buy wheels with 85 kgs weight limit, normal wheels are not that much heavier - 1300-1400g range and at least 110kg weight limit, anything narrower than 25mm internal width is considered old school now:)
I am from Guam, I weigh with gear, clothes, shoes about 180 lbs. I have the Ashima Ai2 rotors and they are fine for my purpose. I ride tarmac I say majority of the time but on weekends I ride a trail with lots of roots, rocks and clay. When I was younger I used clipless pedals but now I am kinda scared I might not be able to take my feet off fast enough. I am 58 so not really aggressive just enjoying a ride at my pace mostly for exercise only.

thegolfather

by thegolfather

hannawald wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:08 am
I mean clip in/clipless pedals, not the platforms you have...
Something like Shimano XTR pedals. It's really rare to see platform pedals on hi-end xc bike, they are used by tourist or for trail riding where pedalling efficiency is not important...

I don't have any wheel recommendation (currently on Alchemist rims with Newmen hubs because I bought this wheelset cheap), depends on your budget, but something around 1350-1400g would be ok for me. It's quite popular to have the wheelset built from parts. You can't make mistake with DT hubs, CX Ray/Aerolite spokes and rims according to your budget. Light Bicycle is a proven source of great rims (for many mand years, you can find threads here). Or something more fancy for more money...
Rims for xc should be at least 25mm wide internally but it is getting wider and wider so it is getting into trail territory now and people buy rims with 30mm internal width. Depends what terrain you ride, 25mm will be a bit lighter and ok for 2,25 wide tires but the trend is making xc bikes more like trail bikes - slacker ht angles, wider rims, tires... I am not persuaded but I don't ride demanding terrain.
Happy Holiday:)
Podium SRD 29er Wheelset are these good?

hannawald

by hannawald

Guam? Nice, I looked at some pictures and quite envy you, it is snowing now at my country - the Czech Rep.:)
I was asking you to know if you have easy access to European or US shops, ebay... not sure with Guam as some of the best deals are sometimes Continental US only...

In case of hard crash clipless pedals will kick you out so you don´t need to worry...

At your weight you are almost at the limit of those wheels (190 lbs, it is usually including clothes...) and they are quite narrow at 23mm width. But you probably don´t ride hard so they should be ok, depends if it is a great deal for you. I wouldn´t buy them at normal price, but if you can have it for half the price...just check it is the right axles and freehub.

thegolfather

by thegolfather

hannawald wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:59 am
Guam? Nice, I looked at some pictures and quite envy you, it is snowing now at my country - the Czech Rep.:)
I was asking you to know if you have easy access to European or US shops, ebay... not sure with Guam as some of the best deals are sometimes Continental US only...

In case of hard crash clipless pedals will kick you out so you don´t need to worry...

At your weight you are almost at the limit of those wheels (190 lbs, it is usually including clothes...) and they are quite narrow at 23mm width. But you probably don´t ride hard so they should be ok, depends if it is a great deal for you. I wouldn´t buy them at normal price, but if you can have it for half the price...just check it is the right axles and freehub.
Since I live on an island paradise (no snow basically summer all year round), everything has to be flown in and shipping costs a bit more or some companies do not even ship to Guam. I am new to the current bicylce technology so I struggle a lot. In my heyday of biking the only material avalable for the frames were CRMo2 steel and Reynolds aluminum. So now You can see how distant in the past that is. I am not sure where to look for deals and what I am looking for. I can order online it takes a while but living on Guam means I have to be patient with everything.

hannawald

by hannawald

Well, everything is out of stock now due to covid manufacturing times, so everybody needs to be patient. But building new bike is fun, so enjoy:) You don't need to go the lowest weight with mtb, go very low but proven manufacturers. Achieving 1350g for wheelset is not easy, but possible even without exotic parts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thegolfather

by thegolfather

Update on my bike, I have installed a Schmolke handle bar and an extralite stem.