Removing Bridge for bigger tire

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

alibudia1712

by alibudia1712

Hey, everyone, I'm wondering if it's still safe to remove seat and chainstay bridge on my Ti 27.5 frame so I can fit like 29x2.1 tire? Is there anyone here tried? I've seen newer mtb frames don't have bridge on seat or chainstay. Thanks . mine is Lynskey MT 27.5.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

kode54

by kode54

I had a bridge moved up when I changed my rim-brake Guru to disc and also to accept 35mm tires. Moved a new curved bridge up (no hole for rim brake).
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

02GF74

by 02GF74

That's a difficult one to answer.

Since most frames now are made to use disc brakes, the seat stay bridge had died out.

I've taken at a look at a few Ti frames, some have the bridge, others not, of those that don't, some have additional gussetting near the seat tube.

Asking the manufacturer is likely to not to help as they don't like DIY modifications and it will invalidate the warranty.

As someone suggested, remove the bridge but get a frame builder to add strength back.

Or cut it out and see what happens, I suspect very little in the short term.

alibudia1712

by alibudia1712

recently i've seen a LS gravel frame with no seatstay bridge but still with a chain stay bridge Image. I'll go ask some Ti frame builder i can ask if it possible. I doubt myself to remove the bridges because i think i might also trashing my frame by modifying it Image

alibudia1712

by alibudia1712

just ask John Calletti and found out most his frame build with no bridges. I guess it's gonna be okay if I remove the bridges?