Best (smoothest) hardtail ? XTC, Epic, other..

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tallboy

by Tallboy

At what point do you think running a hardtail with big soft tyres might be better just having a full sus?
"I want to absorb all of your pop culture"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

Ah, one of the difficult questions.

Depends on dozens of factors, not least of which is the course/terrain and how good the rider is...

viragevitesse

by viragevitesse

Tallboy wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:16 pm
At what point do you think running a hardtail with big soft tyres might be better just having a full sus?
I'm running 2.3" tyres front and rear, a 120mm fork and just installed a dropper and its made my hardtail weaponised! For someone like me who is reluctant to give up the hardtail I think this is a great setup to be a capable bike in most situations, without going to the full suspension. If I could find some 2.4" tyres in stock I would put them on too.

Tallboy

by Tallboy

What frame are you doing that on? I wonder if my scale would like a 120mm fork or if it would change geo too much
"I want to absorb all of your pop culture"

jrod88

by jrod88

jrod88 wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:16 am
Maybe we'll get some specs on the new drop stay Cannondale.
https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bikes ... _none_none
Allez Sprint
SS EVO SE

viragevitesse

by viragevitesse

Tallboy wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:49 am
What frame are you doing that on? I wonder if my scale would like a 120mm fork or if it would change geo too much
Specialized Epic. Going up to a 120mm fork made no perceiveable difference at all to geometry or the way it handles. I just had to drop the stem down lower to get the same riding position as before, but at least that looks better than having 30mm of spacers under the stem, and stem flipped up like I had before! Gives a little more pedal clearance too, being a bit higher up. No drawbacks that I can see.

Protsi

by Protsi

fastezzie wrote:Hi all considering building a new hardtail for next season. I rode a Scott Scale for several years, excellent bike. Looking for lighter weight (Scale frame was 1300g) more tire clearance, longer reach, and a boost/thru-axle hub.

Top two options now are Giant XTC SL and Spec Epic HT. Anyone have ride quality feedback on these bikes? too close to call? any others I should consider?
Prefer something other than Scott for variety sake.
Maybe to late. But how about a aluminum HT at 8.5 kg. And with some room to loose more weight. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hwyix

by hwyix

Protsi wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:18 am
fastezzie wrote:Hi all considering building a new hardtail for next season. I rode a Scott Scale for several years, excellent bike. Looking for lighter weight (Scale frame was 1300g) more tire clearance, longer reach, and a boost/thru-axle hub.

Top two options now are Giant XTC SL and Spec Epic HT. Anyone have ride quality feedback on these bikes? too close to call? any others I should consider?
Maybe to late. But how about a aluminum HT at 8.5 kg. And with some room to loose more weight. Image

Which make, model and how much? 8.5 kg sounds great for a hard tail if I can afford it. Seems like most of the ones I look where closer to 14+ kg.

Sulliesbrew

by Sulliesbrew

I would look into a BMC TwoStroke. All the carbon models have the same frame so pretty upgradeable. I haven't weighed mine, but it is light and feels like it descends better than my Orbea Oiz...
Pactimo Brand Ambassador, ask me about a Promo code

Protsi

by Protsi

hwyix wrote:
Protsi wrote:

Which make, model and how much? 8.5 kg sounds great for a hard tail if I can afford it. Seems like most of the ones I look where closer to 14+ kg.
hwyix wrote:
Protsi wrote:

. specialized chicel And is large the one in the pic.

kervelo

by kervelo

Chisel is a great bike and even with a front suspension it can be built under 10kgs.

thegolfather

by thegolfather

I have a 2021 Giant XTC SL1 and it is fantastic