Rear shock n00b: What would you replace Fox RP23 shock with?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

discolite

by discolite

I am taking hold of my first (used) full-sus bike. However, I'm told the Fox RP23 rear shock needs to be replaced. Being totally unfamiliar with rear shocks, I thought I'd crowdsource opinions ... if you were in my shoes, what would you replace it with?
MERLIN • Newsboy #11 • Elevator soft-tail • Cyrene 650C • Fat Beat • XLM Lefty • Extralite • Sandstone
ROAD • Litespeed Ghisallo • Cervelo RCA • Passoni Animus Ti
ETC • Spectrum Super Ti SS • Black Sheep FS • Budnitz Steel Belt Drive • Tyrell Ti

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cleaner

by Cleaner

Rebuild the RP23 if possible, it may just need service and a nitrogen recharge. If it is beyond repair I would contact Fox or a distributor and inquire about matching the performance curves for you particular application with a current model.

Some flavor of a Fox float factory is most likely to match it.

discolite

by discolite

Should have been clearer - due to customs restrictions, the shocks could not be sent over 🤷‍♂️
MERLIN • Newsboy #11 • Elevator soft-tail • Cyrene 650C • Fat Beat • XLM Lefty • Extralite • Sandstone
ETC • Spectrum Super Ti SS • Black Sheep FS • Budnitz Steel Belt Drive • Tyrell Ti

Cleaner

by Cleaner

In that case make sure to get the shock specs from the frame manufacturer so you can match it to a new shock. You will need the stroke length, eye to eye distance, and the damper tune at a minimum. Keep in mind that the bushings used to mount it to frame vary as well so you will need the specs for those as well.

If this is not familiar to you I would contact the frame manufacturer and ask them for help in specing a replacement shock.

discolite

by discolite

Thanks. Will do just that 👍

de lars cuevas

by de lars cuevas

Cleaner wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:12 pm
In that case make sure to get the shock specs from the frame manufacturer so you can match it to a new shock. You will need the stroke length, eye to eye distance, and the damper tune at a minimum. Keep in mind that the bushings used to mount it to frame vary as well so you will need the specs for those as well.
EDIT Every 2013 or newer Fox shock has a 4 digit code written on it (for instance C9T4) . If you fill it in here https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike, you will get the exact specs for your shock, damper tune et all.

Is there not a single bike suspension service company in your country?

Cheers, Lars
Last edited by de lars cuevas on Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cleaner

by Cleaner

Not every Fox shock has a code on it. Only 2013 model year and newer have this available.

de lars cuevas

by de lars cuevas

Cleaner wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:08 pm
Not every Fox shock has a code on it. Only 2013 model year and newer have this available.
Ah, I didn't know that. Edited previous post. Thanks. :-)

Karvalo

by Karvalo

de lars cuevas wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:05 pm
My reading was the bike itself was being shipped to him without the shock? While there absolutely should not be any issues with shipping suspension (people take their bikes on holiday right?) if someone goes to an airline or customs office and asks "Hey can I put this thing with a highly pressurised nitrogen compartment on this plane" they may well get told no. Even though it's totally fine really.

discolite

by discolite

Yes, exactly. Customs just refuses to allow the shocks to be shipped, which surprised me. It's not like pressurised/suspension parts are such a rare, dangerous item ... 🤷‍♂️
Karvalo wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:43 pm
de lars cuevas wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:05 pm
My reading was the bike itself was being shipped to him without the shock? While there absolutely should not be any issues with shipping suspension (people take their bikes on holiday right?) if someone goes to an airline or customs office and asks "Hey can I put this thing with a highly pressurised nitrogen compartment on this plane" they may well get told no. Even though it's totally fine really.

de lars cuevas

by de lars cuevas

discolite wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:19 pm
Yes, exactly. Customs just refuses to allow the shocks to be shipped, which surprised me. It's not like pressurised/suspension parts are such a rare, dangerous item ...
Wow, that's weird. Where are you based?

discolite

by discolite

Singapore.
de lars cuevas wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:51 pm
discolite wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:19 pm
Yes, exactly. Customs just refuses to allow the shocks to be shipped, which surprised me. It's not like pressurised/suspension parts are such a rare, dangerous item ...
Wow, that's weird. Where are you based?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeD

by MikeD

I gave up on Fox shocks. The oil damping section loses pressure over time and the lockout doesn't work. Sent the shocks to Fox for a rebuild, but they work for a while and eventually lose pressure. I went with a Rockshox Monarch shock.