RockShox SID Select vs Reba RL (2021-22)

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

prokyon

by prokyon

Hello, I'd like to upgrade the stock Judy fork on my Speciazlied Chisel hardtail (max travel which frame will take without voiding warranty is 100mm) and want a durable option for both XC racing and trail riding (possibly change tuning depending on what I'm doing).

Now I know that the new Fox 32 stepcast is a great option, but the rest of the bike is an alloy beater - I want something which lets me race and practice (read durable). So putting on a super-lightweight $1100 Fox fork on there doesn't make much sense, although I can certainly afford it.

I want a fork which doesn't flex (stiff) and which can be adjusted to reduce bob when pedaling for racing - for trail riding I don't care about bob - it has to have remote lockout (up top on the left - my dropper is at the bottom on the left), 42mm offset, 100mm travel, 15x110mm Maxle, 1 1/8 steerer, 29inch wheels, 160mm rotor. I don't care about weight as much - would take something more durable.

I narrowed it down to SID Select and Reba RL, but I'm having a hard time understanding the differences:
- which fork is stiffer? SID Select has 35mm stanchions vs 32mm on Reba, but then SID has less material on the crown.
- which fork rides with less bob, especially when pedaling out of the saddle? On the Reba RL I was thinking of adding air tokens for racing to firm it up, then taking them out for the trail.
- which fork is more durable? Looks like Reba RL, as it's not weight optimized
- can 2-position remote lockout be fitted on the SID Select (online it says it can only take the TwistLoc remote)
- would 44mm offset on the SID Select matter vs 42mm on the Reba RL?

Thanks in advance!

fa63

by fa63

The SID Select should be plenty stiff; I have the SID SL (32mm stanchions) on my Santa Cruz Blur and don't find it lacking in stiffness so the regular SID should be fine.

RockShox designed the SID to sit higher in its travel, and I find that it doesn't bob around excessively when not locked out.

I am not impressed with Twistlock; it is hard to engage and I constantly disengage it on accident. I think any other 2-position remote will work.

You will never notice the difference in 2mm of offset.

By the way, I am pretty sure the SID is native to a 180mm rotor so you won't be able to run a 160 on it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prokyon

by prokyon

OK, I see the official 2-position OneLoc remote from RockShox isn't listed with SID Select for some reason - would any remote work or it has to be TwistLoc? Who makes decent 2-position remotes and would almost any work instead of TwistLoc? I see a bunch of no-name stuff from China on AliExpress, but that's about it apart from Fox and RockShox - but there are plenty of dropper post levers out there for some reason...

fa63

by fa63

Bontrager make one called the Droplock.

de lars cuevas

by de lars cuevas

fa63 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:46 am
Bontrager make one called the Droplock.
Good tip. Droplock is an excellent option if you want to run a remote lockout and a dropper!

Mind you: the SID 35 mm comes in 120 mm travel only. I think you can change the travel with shorter air shaft though. SID SL is 32 mm and 100 mm travel. Wonderful fork, much stiffer than Fox 32 SC too.

fa63

by fa63

That is right, the SID comes stock as 120mm travel but you can change the air shaft to go down to 100mm.

prokyon

by prokyon

I might have a hard time justifying to Specialized that I reduced 120mm down to 100mm in case of a warranty claim on the frame... it's technically still a 120mm fork on paper. It's an option though, or go with 100mm SID Select which has 32mm stanchions I guess.

OK, but why not the Reba RL? Is SID Select that much better for the extra money that it makes no sense to get the Reba RL anymore?

fa63

by fa63

SID Select still has 35mm stanchions. If you want the SID with 32mm stanchions, you need the SID SL (which is available in both the Ultimate and Select versions).

I used to have a Reba on an older SpecialIzed Camber and remember it being fine too. But then again, I am not the kind of person who can detect small differences between forks.

prokyon

by prokyon

Thanks - I called RockShox and the only fork which fits my specs is the SID Select SL - same fork you have LoL, just 44mm rake instead of 42mm (close enough). They don't sell Reba RL and SID Select 35mm which fit the rest of the specs it seems. So it looks like the decision has been made for me by RockShox.

I just hope 2.4 inch Magic Mary tires fit through SID SL - it's max rated at 60mm of tire clearance and technically 2.4 inches is 61mm.

fa63

by fa63

I am running 2.4" Maxxis Rekon WT on 30mm internal width rims on mine and it fits with room to spare.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com