DT swiss vs Enve vs Duke Custom

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

sigma

by sigma

So I am heading back to the midwest for work from the Rockies this fall and have decided to pick up a hardtail (BMC Twostroke) for commuting and the local short track races. It will see limited midwest singletrack up at places like Kettle Moraine in Wisconsin and some other spots in Michigan / Indiana. The single track will probably not be very technical compared to the routes I normally ride in Utah.

I am debating wheels. The bike comes with a set of DT SWiss X 1900 wheels which would be perfectly fine for commuting and training but not racing.
The dealer can swap them to a set of Enve M5 (and credit me back the cost of the original); I can pick up a set of DT Swiss XRC 1200s for around 1600 dollars or go the custom route with a Duke Build. Given, I am planning to do the short track races, I am wondering whether the crash protection from Enve might actually be worth it. I have no problems with Duke / LB rims - have had a great set for years; similarly Enve has been terrific for me and their customer service exemplary. I've never owned a set of DT Swiss rims before, so I am a little curious.

Would love some perspective and thoughts.
TIA
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Roval 6D Carbon wheels. as light as the DT and cheaper. Pretty well thought out rim design too. And round spokes.

Mosquito

by Mosquito

Check out Cenos wheels - very promising products - their rim is 30mm internal width, 330 grams on scales, which is pretty amazing. You can get a 240s/CX-Ray wheelset for 1200Eur, and it will be sturdier than XRC1200 which is using bad reputable 180s hubs. Also lighter. My set weights 1300g including rim tape.
241001098_117114847256572_4182757831448682986_n.jpg
Check out my new project - bike frame size calculator for e-commerce https://rightbikesize.com

fuscojaod58

by fuscojaod58

Anyone who has used their products
https://www.zpebicycle.com/