Damaged frame

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Richington

by Richington

So I just received my mountainbike and lo and behold it is damaged. The worst part is there is no damage on the packaging so this is caused by the factory/assembly.

Of course if I send it back I will not get a replacement for many months so I think I can live with cosmetic damage. So I need help determining if this looks like more than cosmetic and if it might have damaged the carbon. I have done the "tap-test" where I tap the frame with a metal object and listen for blunted noise. So far so good with this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

santanacorreia

by santanacorreia

I would not worry.

Enviado do meu SM-G960F através do Tapatalk

Cleaner

by Cleaner

The tap test is not sufficient to detect a problem. You have to make the judgement but an ultrasound or other non destructive test would be required to determine the integrity of the lamination matrix. Any competent composites engineer will tell you that the tap test is not reliable to determine structural integrity. There may be a structural issue that would only become apparant as a catastrophic failure.

scant

by scant

how deep are the marks? is it just damaged pain, or visible frayed carbon?

sychen

by sychen

Even as cosmetic.. Report a ticket to manufacturer.. Even without replacing they offer some compensation for damage from shipping or factory

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Richington

by Richington

Yes I have of course sent the matter to the manufactorer.

To answer the question above: I can see the carbon but it doesnt seem frayed or damaged really.

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

There is most likely going to be some delamination (structural) in the general vicinity, probably extending beyond the gouge marks (now that I've looked at it again). This is something that should definitely be warrantied, but when you do it is up to you if the manufacturer allows it. It is on the top tube, towards the center, which is not a very high-stress part of the bike, and modern mainstream carbon bikes are very overbuilt because of very poor manufacturing quality assurance in general.

Will this fail on your first, or twentieth ride? Probably not. Might this fail 3 years down the line, or shorten the life of the bike significantly (barring any other crashes you experience)? Probably...

If the manufacturer lets you warranty it later when supply sorts itself out, I would ride it, but not thrash it. Just my two cents.

PS: If you've not done this already, press down firmly on the impact area with one thumb. Don't put all your might into it, just firmly. Is it soft? If yes, don't ride it.

Richington

by Richington

jpeterson1012 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:16 am
There is most likely going to be some delamination (structural) in the general vicinity, probably extending beyond the gouge marks (now that I've looked at it again). This is something that should definitely be warrantied, but when you do it is up to you if the manufacturer allows it. It is on the top tube, towards the center, which is not a very high-stress part of the bike, and modern mainstream carbon bikes are very overbuilt because of very poor manufacturing quality assurance in general.

Will this fail on your first, or twentieth ride? Probably not. Might this fail 3 years down the line, or shorten the life of the bike significantly (barring any other crashes you experience)? Probably...

If the manufacturer lets you warranty it later when supply sorts itself out, I would ride it, but not thrash it. Just my two cents.

PS: If you've not done this already, press down firmly on the impact area with one thumb. Don't put all your might into it, just firmly. Is it soft? If yes, don't ride it.
Thanks for the input. How can you tell that there is most likely structural damage? What are you seeing / looking for?

Toybota

by Toybota

Just return it.
Not worth the stress of looking at the damage or worry about when it's going to fail when you are bombing down a trail.

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

Toybota wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:52 pm
Just return it.
Not worth the stress of looking at the damage or worry about when it's going to fail when you are bombing down a trail.
Ah yes, I missed the fact that this is the MTB forum lol.

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

Richington wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:39 am
Thanks for the input. How can you tell that there is most likely structural damage? What are you seeing / looking for?
Just based on how deep the damage appears, and the extent of the paint damage. delamination happens from impacts that don't even leave much of a mark on the paint. therefore, more paint damage, more likelihood of delamination, which is pretty likely in this case.

Richington

by Richington

If there were delamination it would feel softer right?

I did your test with pushing my finger on the area and didnt feel anything.

eurostar

by eurostar

Can you afford to buy something else to ride so you can send this back?

Richington

by Richington

No I cant buy anything else without the money back from this. Furthermore there are no MTBs in stock anywhere and this was my first. So if this cant work then I wont have one for a long time.

eurostar

by eurostar

Sorry to hear that. The manufacturer ought to let you have a replacement asap. Being without a bike for months is a serious loss to you, and it's 100% their responsibility. Have you checked your consumer rights? When this happens with cars, people demand a loan car.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com