Nextie NXT29XMA33 and insert question

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

freeturns

by freeturns

Have a set of these on order - 27mm internal at 370g and feeling like i might have made a mistake going with the T800/T1000 light weight option. Im 190, SantaCruz High Tower LT.

Has anyone else built up or ridden this rim? How have the manufactured ERDs been comared to measured? Any concerns with how light the rim is? Issues fitting a bontrager tire? X3/X4 in a 2.4 or 2.6

Also, the tubolight inserts seem like they might be a good fit here. Can anyone whos ridden them comment? Do they soak up stans? Or what about the new Tannis Tubeless system... much cheaper for sure.

Thanks in advane.
I have been a long time lurker here, like way way too long.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeDuke

by LeDuke

If possible, I'd suggest cancelling your order and going with something else. A 370g rim is not going to be appropriate for a 190lb rider on a 150mm bike if you're using the bike for its intended purpose.

For reference, I'm 143lbs on a 120mm/108mm bike, ride smoothly over rocky terrain, and have broken two rear rims of the same weight with narrower profiles. I.e., theoretically stronger. A Nox Teocalli and an EIE A29C25D25.

I've got two wheelsets now. 180s with Berds and Nextie NXT29XM36, and 240s with WeAreOne Revive rims.

If you're dead set on going with them, yes, I would definitely go with an insert, particularly for the rear. I haven't used the Tannus inserts, but I have used the Tubolight (the new model) and they don't appear to soak up much sealant.

freeturns

by freeturns

Thanks Duke, I appreciate your input.

I'll fire an email off to nextie and see what we can do.

In my initial conversation with them, I was pointed in the direction of the XMA as they should be good for "occasional jumping". Which brings up an interesting question... What is trail riding?

freeturns

by freeturns

Just wanted to proivde an update:

Nextie couldnt modify the order as they had shipped already. Built using:
pillar bladed spokes
Alum nipples -14
onyx vesper hubs
maxxis rekon
tannus rear insert.

Ive been on the wheelset ~500 miles. Rough, rocky and chunky riding. I have not had an issue once. Running 23-25 psi tubless. Wheels are true and straight, and the rims seem to be handling the abuse rather well. No big drops, but long miles in technical terrain. Havent taken them to downievlille yet, but will this summer to really see what they can handle.

Let me know if you have any questions.