Long term experience with Onyx Vesper Hub

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

I’m looking for feedback from those with experience with these hubs.

About 4 years ago I considered Onyx vs Industry Nine Torch and decided to go with the Torch. Mainly, it was because I didn’t like the weight of the Onyx. Now I’m looking to build a new bike with a new wheelset and I see that Onyx has an updated “Vesper” that is lighter, although still not as light as the also updated I9 offering, the Hydra.

My Torch hubs have been great. Solid and reliable. But they are LOUD and I do find the noise to be somewhat annoying, but not a dealbreaker. I’ve demo-ed a couple of bikes with Hydra hubs and these are noticeably less noisy than mine, so that’s an improvement.

I’m thinking about trying the Onyx Vesper so that I can have a completely silent hub.

What do you guys think?

tleo

by tleo

From reading on other forums there have been some slipping issues with the Vesper and bigger or powerful riders.

From the Onyx website:
Choosing between Classic and Vesper hubs? The Vesper product line is our lightest cross-country and trail hub. The Classic product line is designed for heavier activities like electric-assist bikes, bike packing, tandems and bigger riders.
I just ordered a new set of wheels Monday and went with the Onyx Classic/ARC 30 Offset HD since I fall into the "bigger" category :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

tleo wrote:From reading on other forums there have been some slipping issues with the Vesper and bigger or powerful riders.

From the Onyx website:
Choosing between Classic and Vesper hubs? The Vesper product line is our lightest cross-country and trail hub. The Classic product line is designed for heavier activities like electric-assist bikes, bike packing, tandems and bigger riders.
I just ordered a new set of wheels Monday and went with the Onyx Classic/ARC 30 Offset HD since I fall into the "bigger" category :lol:
Thanks for pointing this out. I’m 6-4 185 and I’d be pairing these with an Ibis Ripley or Ripmo (as soon as I can make up my mind between the two lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freeturns

by freeturns

I rode a vesper hub 180# single speed setup with a problem solvers chain line. 0 issues for me. Loved the silent hub and instant engagement.

Also, just ordered a new vesper for my geared bike, and covid weight at 190. Not expecting any issues. Going to build them up with NXT29XMA33 and see how they fair in chunky terrain!

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

freeturns wrote:I rode a vesper hub 180# single speed setup with a problem solvers chain line. 0 issues for me. Loved the silent hub and instant engagement.

Also, just ordered a new vesper for my geared bike, and covid weight at 190. Not expecting any issues. Going to build them up with NXT29XMA33 and see how they fair in chunky terrain!
Thanks. Good info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeDuke

by LeDuke

There are a good number of posts on MTBR about them.

Personally, I like the IDEA, but if you're after long term durability (particularl as, I assume, a stronger individual), perhaps not the best plan. A good number of reports of hub shells cracking. Also, they use bad bearings. If you do go that route, I'd plan on replacing the bearings before you ever ride on them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

LeDuke wrote:There are a good number of posts on MTBR about them.

Personally, I like the IDEA, but if you're after long term durability (particularl as, I assume, a stronger individual), perhaps not the best plan. A good number of reports of hub shells cracking. Also, they use bad bearings. If you do go that route, I'd plan on replacing the bearings before you ever ride on them.
Thanks for the input. I’ve decided to go with hydra, mainly bc I can get a good deal on an upgrade from ibis to go on a new Ripmo v2. It’s $1400 to upgrade to hydra laced with their house branded carbon S35 rims. I’ll try that rather than building a set of something like the nox kitsuma’s which would be approx $1800.

I too really like the IDEA of a silent hub. People rave about it. Currently I’m running I9 Torch and, boy, is it loud. Really much louder than I would prefer. The loud buzz doesn’t so much as “warn” hikers as it “startles” them. It’s got so many POEs that sometimes people assume I must be bearing down on them even though I’m moving very gently. I’ve demo-ed a couple of bikes with Hydra and the noise is noticeably softer, but it’s still there.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Happy trials.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk