XC Framesets

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

grantrstubbs

by grantrstubbs

Hi everyone, I've currently got a Giant Anthem which is very well specced, (XX1 eagle, Ultimate brakes, Fox 34SC, etc). I'd love to update to a frame with a little more modern geo (i.e. ST angle of 75deg + and HT angle <68 deg) I want to buy it as a frameset (thinking like the Epic or Evo but price!!) and wondering what is available as a frameset. I'll start a list, would be great to get peoples thoughts on that

S-Works Epic Frameset - great geo, available as a frame but very expensive in Australia ($8000)
Trek Supercaliber - not the most modern geo, but gets good reviews
Santa Cruz Highball - looks good, not available yet, will be ~$5500 in Oz
BMC Fourstroke - good geo, available as a frame in US at least, seems only to be able run a 100mm fork
Scalpel - not modern ngeo
Lux - not modern geo

Any others I should consider?

Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Orbea OIZ OMX and Trek SuperCalibur are on my shortlist.

xkcd

by xkcd

What about the Santa Cruz Blur?
I have a Nicolai Saturn 11 but thats not really a bike for weightweenies

Crankycolnago

by Crankycolnago

Mondraker F Podium

LeDuke

by LeDuke

grantrstubbs wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:01 am
Hi everyone, I've currently got a Giant Anthem which is very well specced, (XX1 eagle, Ultimate brakes, Fox 34SC, etc). I'd love to update to a frame with a little more modern geo (i.e. ST angle of 75deg + and HT angle <68 deg) I want to buy it as a frameset (thinking like the Epic or Evo but price!!) and wondering what is available as a frameset. I'll start a list, would be great to get peoples thoughts on that

S-Works Epic Frameset - great geo, available as a frame but very expensive in Australia ($8000)
BMC Fourstroke - good geo, available as a frame in US at least, seems only to be able run a 100mm fork
Lux - not modern geo

Cheers
The Scalpel has very similar angles and measurements compared to the Epic and BMC. The other three are not particularly modern.

Here's a useful website to use to compare various bikes, loaded with some relevant models:

https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/bmc- ... rr-2021-m/

Unless you're REALLY aiming for all out XC race performance, I'd check out the Epic Evo and Blur TR as well. I wasn't a fan of Santa Cruz's version of VPP before, but since they've gone the modified single pivot route like everyone else, they've likely made it pedal a bit better. The longer travel Epic Evo and Blur TR can be built up nearly as light as their shorter travel counterparts, but are a better option for backcountry riding, IMO. A bit more forgiving without any large drawbacks. Both have threaded BBs, too.
Last edited by LeDuke on Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Co0kieMonster

by Co0kieMonster

Even though the Epic/Epic Pro is without a doubt a great bike which meets your requirement, I wouldn't go for it in 2022 due to its hefty price tag. The new Santa Cruz Blur seems to be decent offer: Modern geometry, possibilty of two bottles, fair price compared to Trek, Spesh, threaded BB and as LeDuke wrote, the option to choose between a 100mm race setup and more comfortable 120/115 mm setup.

Besides this: Lux seems to be "outdated", although it doesn't matter in reality if you take a look at MvD ;-); new Scalpel and Trek Supercaliper receive a lot of appreciation from what I hear.

rapsac

by rapsac

New Giant Anthem my2022? Pictures on the web.

grantrstubbs

by grantrstubbs

Thanks for the replies, sorry my OP should have said Sanat Cruz Blur. It's a good option.

Yes also getting excited about the new Anthem (although hI thin they have failed with only one bottle)

req110

by req110

Crankycolnago wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:53 pm
Mondraker F Podium
purchasing modraker f-podium is what i am considering since, it has the same frame mod in all price ranges...

so i can purchase the cheapest model for 5200 USD and swap all parts to my Spark and sell the spark as a complete bike, which should be easier than selling bare frameset.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
SW Epic 8 Satin Carbon L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p SID Ultimate / in the making

Crankycolnago

by Crankycolnago

You can build this frame in the low 20lb maybe sub 20lbs mine weights 23 but i wasnt going for weight i built w sc34 and axs dropper and enve m630s still love the bike its a rocket.

req110 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:12 am
Crankycolnago wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:53 pm
Mondraker F Podium
purchasing modraker f-podium is what i am considering since, it has the same frame mod in all price ranges...

so i can purchase the cheapest model for 5200 USD and swap all parts to my Spark and sell the spark as a complete bike, which should be easier than selling bare frameset.

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Lux get my vote. :thumbup:
Attachments
1F5909E5-4660-499B-AA96-9ACC042257CE.jpeg

Lozaen

by Lozaen

The BMC can also run 120mm in the Front and is available "LT"-Version where the rear offers 120mm as welk.
Tom Pidcock used it to become olympic champion without any obligation to a particular sponsor....so probably not too bad.
Interested in buying Carbonsport Lightweight wheels with broken spokes.

BMC Teammachine SLR01 Disc Team 2018|Ridley Helium | Kuota Kross|Cannondale Scalpel 29 Hi-Mod

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Since you want 75 degree STA, then Intense Sniper Trail and XC at 73-74 degree is out of the question.

How about Spot Ryve 115?
75 degree STA, 67.2degree HTA
120 or 130mm fork and 115mm rear travel.
It use dual link suspension design with leaf spring.

sigma

by sigma

grantrstubbs wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:01 am

Lux - not modern geo

Cheers
I think you will find the new Scalpel fairly close to some of the other geometries you have listed. For me, it climbs better than the epic or epic evo. I don't have experience with the Fourstroke, but I just ordered the twostroke which I enjoyed test piloting. I went through some similar thoughts earlier this year and bought the Scalpel SE as I wanted a bit more travel and comfort. I have to say it's outstanding. Climbs beautifully and is quite a lot of fun on the downhill. I wanted a "down country bike" specifically so I also considered the Revel Ranger. For pure XC, your list looks very good so part of the choice would be driven by terrain (scalpel better than epic on the uphill). I also hated the Spec brain so the epic evo was more appealing.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

req110

by req110

It's pitty that i am not building any bike now and that new generation has been released, but this is indeed a good offer in my opinion.

https://www.bike24.de/p1390685.html

https://www.bike24.de/p1390563.html?menu=1000,1868,1944
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
SW Epic 8 Satin Carbon L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p SID Ultimate / in the making