Fox Transfer SL 30.9 / 100 mm weight

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

rapsac

by rapsac

Weight measurement of the Transfer SL Performance Elite version.
As far as I understand the difference with the Factory version is black anodised vs Kashima coating of the upper piston and steel vs titanium bolts of the saddle mount.

Diameter 30.9 mm
Length 380 mm
Drop 100 mm
Complete weight is 365 grams as delivered, I will exchange the steel bolts and barrel nuts for titanium, hoping to save some 10 grams. Further optimisation could be the upper and/or lower cradle replacement, but I will probably not go that far.

Bolts are M5 x 34/40 (spherical head)
Spherical washers 3.11 x 10.15 (height x ext dia)
Barrel nut 8.49 x 15.76 (dia x width)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

9point8's Fall Line R post is lighter in the same dimensions (30.9x100 is 340g) or can be had with more drop for only a little more weight. It also has infinite positions and feels just like a normal dropper. In 150mm I declare it the "ultimate downcountry" post. On my XC bike I use the 31.6x125 at 396g.

rapsac

by rapsac

Not if you need the length. The 30.9 x 100mm drop Fall Line R has a length of 315mm which is rather short. When you need a longer post you can get the 30.9 x 125mm drop with a length of 375mm, advertised at 376 grams on 9point8’s website.
But thanks for the information, perhaps useful for other forum members.

MattMay

by MattMay

Dang how’d you even get yours hands on the SL? I called Fox and they said September for delivery. Was going to get the Kashima 31.6 100mm.

rapsac

by rapsac

A French webshop had them in stock for a short while. Not sure if I am allowed to post their name, but it starts with the first letter of the alphabet.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

I feel like they could have saved a lot more weight with a carbon saddle clamps, maybe a tuning option?

rapsac

by rapsac

Yes, as I mentioned you can perhaps change the upper and/or lower cradle. On a French forum someone changed the upper cradle and both bolts for MCFK parts, saving 43 grams in total on a 27.2mm version of this seat-post. The lower cradle was not changed. EDIT: lower cradle was changed for a Chinese carbon version.
Last edited by rapsac on Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

Any thoughts on this thing after a bit of use? (Looking at the 27.2 for my Epic)

NickyR

by NickyR

Hi,
I have recently bought the Factory version (30,9x380mm with 100mm travel) :
IMG_3649.JPG
356g
I have only installed it so far but I have a problem : if I torque the seatpost collar more than 3,5/4Nm, the post is "stuck" and the saddle remains on the lower position. The max torque given by FOx is 5Nm so I am well below that mark. The problem is that with less than 4Nm, the seatpost slides down into the seat tube... I tried different mounting paste for carbone, different seatpost collar etc...
A few things to know:
- I am 85kg
- the seatpost has 10cm of insertion so fine according to Fox and my bike manufacturer (Rocky mountain Element)
- with the seatpost collar under torqued, the seatpost works flawlessly
- my frame and seatpost has a very tight fit (no play) even without mouting paste, I had 0 issue with any previous rigid seatposts torqued to 4,5Nm and any mounting paste for carbon.
I ended up solving the problem, at least in my garage, by using Soudal carbon paste and BBB light strangler seatpost collar. The seatpost works fine and it doesn't seem to slide down into the seat tube. We will see this week end during real test outside.
A friend of mine has exactely the same issue with the same seatpost.
Anybody else ?

rapsac

by rapsac

Mine stays put with 3,5 Nm on an Intend Corona seatclamp, using Motorex carbon/alu interface paste.
But I removed the post due to another issue and await a reaction from the shop/Fox.

NickyR

by NickyR

rapsac wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:13 pm
Mine stays put with 3,5 Nm on an Intend Corona seatclamp, using Motorex carbon/alu interface paste.
But I removed the post due to another issue and await a reaction from the shop/Fox.
Good to know, thank you.
I read that pivoting the seatpost collar 180°(= not lining up the sleeves of the collar and the seatube) may help since it spread the clamping force more evenly and prevent from pinching so I did it but I couldn't get more than 3,5Nm again. I ll try tomorrow.
What is the problem with your Transfer SL if I may ask ?
rgds

rapsac

by rapsac

NickyR wrote:
rapsac wrote:
/ snip /
rgds
Rotational loads (looking over shoulder when seated) were met with a very loud clicking noise.
Last edited by rapsac on Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NickyR

by NickyR

rapsac wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:00 pm
NickyR wrote:
rapsac wrote:
/ snip /
rgds
Rotational loads (looking over shoulder when seated) were met with a very load clicking noise.
rotational loads ? Can you please explain ? not sure to understand the problem. Do you mean that the upper part of the post rotates in the lower part and so the saddle is not aligned any more with the bike ?

rapsac

by rapsac

Loading is not displacement. When you (try to) turn the saddle in a plane perpendicular to the seatpost (around it’s axis) there is a loud clicking noise, as mentioned in my previous post.
The post (in this size) has no sliding brass keys but uses an innovative bushing system with springs to prevent rotation (acc. to Fox marketing documentation).
Last edited by rapsac on Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NickyR

by NickyR

ok, I think I got it now. Have you received any reply from Fox ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com