Help on brakes - MVDP Canyon frame - Sram Brakes

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Hey guys.

New on this mtb scene and actually on disc brakes. Bite the bug and sold my trusty pinarello f8 and starter mtb for this beautiful frameset

https://www.canyon.com/da-dk/mountain-b ... enfarbe=WH

I will be putting on DT Swiss XRC 1501 on it and Sram ultimate G2 disc brakes.

But witch size rotors do i need? And do i need a adapter on the rear? and finally 6 bolt or center lock? Damn feel like a total newbie. :mrgreen:

Appreciate your help :beerchug:

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Most XC guys run 160mm rotors, but they often weigh 50kg so it might not make sense for you, what's your weight?
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nejmann

by Nejmann

bikewithnoname wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 6:44 pm
Most XC guys run 160mm rotors, but they often weigh 50kg so it might not make sense for you, what's your weight?
Double that. hahahahaha. Sooo...? :lol:

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Ok, so I would personally say 180FR and RR but it looks like the Lux is built for a flat-mount rear brake and 160 rotor (and looks super neat).

I'll have to defer to someone that's seen one in the flesh as to whether a 180 would fit in terms of clearance or indeed if a post-mount caliper would fit (I think G2's are post mount?)
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Nejmann

by Nejmann

:beerchug:
bikewithnoname wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 7:01 pm
Ok, so I would personally say 180FR and RR but it looks like the Lux is built for a flat-mount rear brake and 160 rotor (and looks super neat).

I'll have to defer to someone that's seen one in the flesh as to whether a 180 would fit in terms of clearance or indeed if a post-mount caliper would fit (I think G2's are post mount?)
Thanks!
But when you see the picture on the website? Doesn't it look like an adapter is mountet on it? Flat to post mount?

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Why Sram Ultimate G2’s? a bit overkill for an xc bike, the level ultimates would be plenty.

Depending on your weight 180F and 160R is fine.

The adaptor probably comes with the frame

Nejmann

by Nejmann

robbosmans wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 7:17 pm
Why Sram Ultimate G2’s? a bit overkill for an xc bike, the level ultimates would be plenty.

Depending on your weight 180F and 160R is fine.

The adaptor probably comes with the frame
I seem to brake alot and i'm a heavy guy.

Thanks! Do i need anything for mounting 180 in the front? And 160 in the rear? Or would it just fit? And was centerlock the way to go?

robbosmans

by robbosmans

For the front you are going to need an adaptor like this one https://www.bike24.com/p2131481.html

If your wheels are centerlock just get some centerlock discs

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Thanks! I love this Forum. The LBS's in my city is such retards.

02GF74

by 02GF74

Scroll down the page to see centrelock vs 6 bolt discussion.

I have both but prefer the 6 bolt option due to the much greater choice of rotor. One set of of wheels has centrelock to 6 bolt adapter fitted for this reason.

Nejmann

by Nejmann

02GF74 wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 7:57 am
Scroll down the page to see centrelock vs 6 bolt discussion.

I have both but prefer the 6 bolt option due to the much greater choice of rotor. One set of of wheels has centrelock to 6 bolt adapter fitted for this reason.

Did buy the centerlock. Everything is sold out at the moment.. But my wheels has the adapter, so let's see.. I can give 6 bolt a go next time.

02GF74

by 02GF74

From memory, the 6 bolt rotor sits on 6 pegs in the adapter. This fixing is not as secure as using bolts, so to prevent any play between the rotor and adapter, I filled the gaps around the pegs in the holes with epoxy resin.

For sure it will make it more difficult to disassemble but how often would you need to do that?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com