Trek Procaliber - oppinions?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

hannawald

by hannawald

Hi,

I am a long time roadie but now I want to buy also a mountainbike. Mainly for family duties and winter riding. I want something proper, definitely well within xc range. I like Trek Procaliber as I think HT should be enough (not searching harder terrain) and isospeed should reveal some fatigue from back..

I am just a bit surprised by its weight about 1600g. I want it to be durable as I am also thinking about having my 3 years old son in the Feva star child seat on the top tube (Nino Schurter used this so proper frame should survive that)..I know there used to be SL frame of Procaliber around 1000g but in Trek they told me some walls including top tube were much thinner on SL so you could push them with thingers..so not sure whether normal version is made sturdy and therefore heavier or it uses some low grade carbon (officially it is all Trek OCLV Mountain carbon - there are no 500, 600, 700, 800 series like with road)...

Do you think Procaliber´s comfort is exceptional for HT and worth 1600g? Is the heavy weight sign of sturdy design or just using low grade carbon? Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Probably the worst hardtail on the market right now. You don’t need ISO on a hardtail because there will be plenty of seatpost sticking out of the frame, with the same effect.

The geo is really outdated and it weighs more than an alu frame.

TheRich

by TheRich

robbosmans wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:16 pm
Probably the worst hardtail on the market right now. You don’t need ISO on a hardtail because there will be plenty of seatpost sticking out of the frame, with the same effect.

The geo is really outdated and it weighs more than an alu frame.
It's not the same effect, not even close.

It's not a racing HT anymore, nor is it a trail HT, nobody knows what the new Procaliber is for other than a mid-price general purpose HT.

hannawald

by hannawald

Thanks, really helpful:)

marecej

by marecej

I hate hardtails, but I had to ride the Procaliber while waiting for my full susp frame and I was surptised how exceptionaly comfortable it was, I'd definitely go for the SL version if I was in market for a HT and wanted some comfort
Unno Horn = 8100g
Ellsworth Truth = 9371g

jwest

by jwest

hannawald wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:52 pm
Hi,

I am a long time roadie but now I want to buy also a mountainbike. Mainly for family duties and winter riding. I want something proper, definitely well within xc range. I like Trek Procaliber as I think HT should be enough (not searching harder terrain) and isospeed should reveal some fatigue from back..

I am just a bit surprised by its weight about 1600g. I want it to be durable as I am also thinking about having my 3 years old son in the Feva star child seat on the top tube (Nino Schurter used this so proper frame should survive that)..I know there used to be SL frame of Procaliber around 1000g but in Trek they told me some walls including top tube were much thinner on SL so you could push them with thingers..so not sure whether normal version is made sturdy and therefore heavier or it uses some low grade carbon (officially it is all Trek OCLV Mountain carbon - there are no 500, 600, 700, 800 series like with road)...

Do you think Procaliber´s comfort is exceptional for HT and worth 1600g? Is the heavy weight sign of sturdy design or just using low grade carbon? Thanks!
This frame weight information was hard to find on the internet. I suppose it's not a number Trek wants to mention up front while Specialized is quite proud to say the S-Works Epic is 950g....and 3x the cost though LOL

bikerbooy

by bikerbooy

I had mine about 3 years,and I love it. It ride very nice. I only changed stem/handlebar and rotors. Geometry is fine for me. Ok, it,s not lightweight one, ca 10,78kg now on the scale. One thing I'm not huge fan is Knock Block system.

aeroskii

by aeroskii

just get a full suspension at that weight. a good light frame weighs around 1800g or less and you will have superior comfort, traction, and efficiency.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com