Lightweight 26" wheel build?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

heartofsteel

by heartofsteel

Hi there folks, I'm looking to build a set of lightweight 26" 10 speed mtb disc wheels for a xc bike which needs a thru axel at the back and a qr at the front (the forks have been replaced). I'm much more at home with road bike parts than mountain bikes, so don't know where to start. Can you recomment some affordable lightweight rims and hubs? Happy to consider new or second hand if that is easier to source for 26". The bike won't see much heavy riding and the rider is light but I want it to be light partly as it has to be carried up 4 flights of stairs! If I could built a set of around 1500g wheels that would be awesome. Thanks in advance :) Helen

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ooo

by ooo

'

heartofsteel

by heartofsteel

Well the rear is currently 27.5 but the replaced front fork is for 26" wheels and I thought it would look smarter if they were both the same!
Not overly bothered about internal width, bike is a few years old so doesn't have the clearance for balloon tyres.
These look really nice and light thanks - always like things with a weight limit as most mainstream gear is over-built for a small rider.
I've found there are less mtb hub options for 28 spokes, would you say that's the case? Any ideas for a good hub (QR and thru axel) that would go with these?

ooo

by ooo

right now choice of 28h hubs is good,

centerlock with convertable caps,ind.bearing:
novatec d791sb-cl/d792sb-cl (ali link or ebay)
a little too loud; with replaceble QR/TA caps; boost/non-boost, 6-bolt/centerlock

centerlock without convertable caps,ind.bearing:
shimano hb-/fh-mt410/mt410-b/mt401
(boost ta/non boost ta/qr, not light)

centerlock without convertable caps,ball bearing:
other shimano hubs

6-bolt,ind.bearing:
novatec d791sb/d792sb (ali link or ebay)
hope pro 4 (more expensive, easier to buy)
circus monkey disc hubs (lighter, ebay only)
'

heartofsteel

by heartofsteel

Thank you my mystery friend! Even I have heard of Novatec hubs. As a novice to this mtb business I am amazed and excited to learn that the difference between quick release and thru axel can be nothing more than an end cap.
Further suggestions still welcome...

sanrensho

by sanrensho

I can heartily recommend Bikehubstore as an excellent U.S. source for wheelbuilding components. Reliable and responsive CS.

https://www.bikehubstore.com/

heartofsteel

by heartofsteel

Thank you Sanrensho, sadly I am in the UK but have found some good sources here too :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com