jagwire sealed cable & sram mech

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

montee

by montee

Hi, anyone using jagwire sealed shift cable with a sram mtb rear derailleur - is there a way of setting it up so you can actually install the seal on the housing liner?

The line fits through the cable routing pulley, so it looks possibly to just extend the liner 4-5cm from the end of the housing, but is the cable meant to rotate the pulley (so should not be in a liner), or does the pulley just provide a guide to smooth out a tight bend (so fine to have the inner run over the pulley & the seal immediately after).

Otherwise do I just need to try my luck with a sealed ferrule?

Hope that makes sense...

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

For a normal installation the cable is obviously supposed to rotate the pulley, as that would result in less friction than sliding against it (especially once things start getting dirty or dusty back there). On the other hand we often have cables passing through and sliding against a plastic cable guide underneath the bottom bracket, so who knows how much difference it really makes…

If the sealed liner fits through the tiny cable holes in the derailleur I'd route it all the way as per Jagwire's instructions. If it does not, well then you'll have to decide between going without liner all the way (and probably without the grub seal) or enlarging the holes with a drill bit.
Last edited by MayhemSWE on Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

montee

by montee

Thanks! The liner will fit through the holes in the derailleur (both the pulley and the guide through to the clamp). But this doesn't leave enough exposed cable for the derailleur to operate. Cutting the liner and adding the seal immediately after the cable exits the pulley looks like it may work, but very tight for the derailleur not to foul on the seal as shift up the cassette.

Otherwise it means running the liner only as far as the cable stop on the derailleur itself, and going without the grub seal. Which kind of defeats the point of a sealed system. I was looking for sealed ferrules but cannot see a 5mm one (size of the Jagwire sealed housing) for shift cable.

All seems a bit inelegant - & hope I'm missing something obvious as it seems odd for Jagwire to advertise the sealed kit as suitable for Sram mtb systems without flagging this issue.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

What kind of bike are you building, or more specifically, how is the cable routing and which model of derailleur? On X01 and XX1 derailleurs the cable guide pulley assembly is easily removable (GX and below riveted in place) and could potentially be replaced with a cable stop and barrel adjuster from a Force 1 derailleur, assuming this works with your frame's cable routing. While not available to buy as a spare part, Ratio Technology manufactures a compatible part for their upgrade kits:

https://ratiotechnology.com/product/rea ... able-stop/

I might be in a similar situation soon, as I am building a gravel bike with a GX Eagle derailleur and planned to use Jagwire Elite Link housing with one continous liner and grub seal at the end. Haven't test fitted any parts yet but on my derailleur it looks like the grub seal could possibly fit up against the guide pulley and just clear the cable fin, though it has been modded with a shorter guide fin for compatibility with road shifters.

montee

by montee

Hi, very similar build - gravel with 1x11 GX. I've put it together with the liner running through the pulley and the grub seal nesting up against it as you say. It *just* has enough clearance for the cable fin. On the stand it is shifting ok but feels a bit heavy at the lever. That said I've not used either the mech or shifter (Gevenalle/microshift) before so don't have anything to compare.

It doesn't feel right effectively fixing the pulley, but if it just serves as a guide I guess it's ok. Not sure I'd want to remove the pulley assembly as the cable has a 90deg turn to make there.

I'll be interested if Jagwire get back to me. I'm struggling to see how the sealed kits are compatible with the Sram design.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

montee

by montee

Seal installed up against the pulley guide doesn't work - it works its way down and jams in the cable fin. I guess could try gluing it in place, but doesn't seem a great fix.

Seems weird there isn't an obvious solution to run sealed cables with Sram mtb RD.