down country bike

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

sigma

by sigma

My old scalpel is a 27.5 black inc lightweight climber. As the trails near me have gotten drier and more used every year, I want something with a bit more travel to it, as they are getting rockier and more rutted. What would you guys pick between and please feel free to share any impressions of the following:

Cannondale Scalpel SE LTD
Revel Ranger
Transition Spur (realistically hard to find)
Specialized S works epic evo

My usage for the bike is mostly 1-3 hour rides with the occassional all day. Rocky mountains technical trails. I am less a downhill speedster these days (enough broken bones in my youth to deter it) so climbing well probably more important than ripping the downhill (would prioritize comfort). If I ever decide to go back into racing XC, I would do a hardtail or maybe something very light (like the epic evo), but that's not the primary intended use of the bike.

Thanks in advance
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

cerro

by cerro

Had a S-Works Epic Evo a month ago and it's awesome, was the best mtb I ever tried. Now switched to a Cannondale Scalpel 2 which climbs faster but doesn't feel as smooth as the Epic did (SID Ultimate fork on the Epic). But only done 3 rides so far. Unfortunately not tried the Scalpel SE yet, hoping to do.

Between the Epic and Scalpel both are awesome so choose the one that you think looks the best ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DanW

by DanW

If only Pinkbike could review all of your options in one field test ;)

sigma

by sigma

DanW wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:30 pm
If only Pinkbike could review all of your options in one field test ;)
:) I did see that, but I would take the collective wisdom of many on WW versus the one reviewer on Pinkbike!
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Intense Sniper T or Transition Spur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lozaen

by Lozaen

Personally I am asking myself the same question.
Stuck between the s-works, cannondale and the BMC Forstroke, which is also available in a LT version.
Despite the longer travel and maybe higher weight, I would expect that every one of these bikes will outperform your current bike in the uphills.
Not to mention the downhills.

I am a big fan of the lefty fork, the BMC has a light integrated dropper post, the S-works seems to rule the descents. Yet in the uphills it might be a bit slower than the other two options. Personally I don't like the brain, so in my view it is a good thing, that the Evo comes without.
So in the end, it is probably only a matter of taste and budget.
Interested in buying Carbonsport Lightweight wheels with broken spokes.

BMC Teammachine SLR01 Disc Team 2018|Ridley Helium | Kuota Kross|Cannondale Scalpel 29 Hi-Mod

prebsy

by prebsy

Scott Spark (non-RC) version is worth considering. if you want to get more rad... probably don't... YT IZZO.

02GF74

by 02GF74

Epic or scalpel will do what you want, I'm not familiar with the other bikes. I expect the scalpel has rear lock out so will give you a hardtail for climbing hence would be the better choice.

smartyiak

by smartyiak

02GF74 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:36 pm
Epic or scalpel will do what you want, I'm not familiar with the other bikes. I expect the scalpel has rear lock out so will give you a hardtail for climbing hence would be the better choice.
Pretty sure the Scalpel SE has a lockout...as does lots of the new downcountry.

OP: what size are you? I looked past quite a few bikes (Epic, BlurTR, Orbea, etc) b/c I am firmly in the new geo XL territory. So I looked at Spur, HeiHei CR/DL, Ryve 115, etc. If you're shorter, it doesn't matter, but it you're over 6'2", you're choices become much more limited.

AndySti

by AndySti

I have the Spur and love it. It's taken me a bit of time to realize I need to ride it differently but I'm having an absolute blast with it. Yes, it's heavier than a race bike and you may not climb as fast but it sure is fun.

sigma

by sigma

smartyiak wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:56 pm
02GF74 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:36 pm
Pretty sure the Scalpel SE has a lockout...as does lots of the new downcountry.

OP: what size are you? I looked past quite a few bikes (Epic, BlurTR, Orbea, etc) b/c I am firmly in the new geo XL territory. So I looked at Spur, HeiHei CR/DL, Ryve 115, etc. If you're shorter, it doesn't matter, but it you're over 6'2", you're choices become much more limited.
I won't have that problem :) 5'9". Sizing is a bit of question mark on something like the new geometries so I am right there between M and L but most likely Medium.
Last edited by sigma on Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sigma

by sigma

AndySti wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:51 pm
I have the Spur and love it. It's taken me a bit of time to realize I need to ride it differently but I'm having an absolute blast with it. Yes, it's heavier than a race bike and you may not climb as fast but it sure is fun.

I am quite drawn to the Spur to just try something new as I have had Cannondale and Trek for a long time before that. However, availability looks pretty bad right now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com