Trek Supercaliber build

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ezno

by ezno

Wanted to share pics of my trek Supercaliber build. Many of the aftermarket parts on this build I was made aware of by info on WW forum, so thank you all for great info and ideas.
I was worried about acquiring many of these parts from over sea, with all the recent delays in shipping, but I had a positive experience with Ceetec, Trickstuff, Mcfk, Schmolke, Hopp, CarbonWorks, Carbon-Ti, all directly. r2-bike were great with price and ship/track info, but took a lot longer for orders to reach my door.
I did not appreciate the detail and workmanship in these carbon parts untill after I finished the build and took some pics up close. I have a lot of respect for these small companies, and I think they are artist and I hope you enjoy the pics as I do.
Attachments
a1.jpeg
a2.jpeg
a3.jpeg
a4.jpeg
a5.jpeg
a6.jpeg
a7.jpeg
a8.jpeg
a9.jpeg
a10.jpeg

ezno

by ezno

A few more pics;
Attachments
a11.jpeg
a12.jpeg
a13.jpeg
a14.jpeg
a15.jpeg
a16.jpeg
a17.jpeg
a18.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

Wow, that's a lot of weightweenie parts!! And the most important question of them all, what does it weigh??

ezno

by ezno

XL frame, 2.40 tires - 19lbs

cula_ru

by cula_ru

Very nice 👍
Thanks for the detailed photos.

19lb is 8,6Kg in SI currency for the ones interested.

How does it ride?? The rear suspension is very low travel. Do you fell any power loss or bend in the rear?

ezno

by ezno

Started off with middle size air volume spacer and it was bottoming out no matter how much air I put into it (I'm around 6'4" 210) I hanged to the large purple air volume spacer and made a huge difference. Very aggressive rebound to the point were I felt a bit out of control on steep descent but after a month of riding it I love it.
Compared to my similar spec trek top fuel the super caliber is a rocket ship! My times are so much faster it just accelerates from dead stop unbelievable. It's a kick in the pants in a bit unraveling on the hard pack over loose single tracks in my area but it's a blast and I love it to the point where I sold my Top Fuel.

cula_ru

by cula_ru

Awesome. Good to know it handles like a rocketship. :)
Need to consider this frame for my next build.

racerswift

by racerswift

Wow, nice build. Those brakes are impressive. How about some part numbers (like the rear thru-axle) :-) Just did my first spin on my supercaliber, they are so fast.

Thanks
Frank

02GF74

by 02GF74

Yeah, great stuff. Have to say the stem is pared down to a bare minimum that would concern me slightly.

BTW I think there are 12 speed slotted link chains available, would save a few more grammes.

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

Wow that is a sick bike! Not to be rude in any way, just curious and surprised how you are able/brave enough to ride those WW parts at 210 lbs / 95kg.

No injuries or broken parts yet?
I am at 82kg (180lbs) and feel that I am way too heavy for that kind of parts when the limit is 90kg. Not to mention scared to death of the possible outcomes if something fails...

ezno

by ezno

Ceetec makes the carbon rear axle.
Before buying any part I spoke to the manufacturers to make sure they were safe for my weight and my style riding.
I've lost a little weight I'm down to 100 pounds even so much safer now😁

ezno

by ezno

Ha ha typo 200 pounds

ezno

by ezno

I did break the carbon fiber trick stuff brake levers but they were great and replacing them for me.
The rear carbon wrapped Ceetec axle is great but the front aluminum Ceetec axle is Cmc too tight specs for the new rock shock ultimate fork. The anodizing on the front axle is all worn. Ceetec told me it's because rock shock doesn't have that tight of specs, and he didn't want to send me another one because he said the same thing would happen, but whatever I'm going with a different brand front axle

Tallboy

by Tallboy

Interesting that you sold your top fuel and kept this. Do you race or is this just for trail riding?
I'm debating between a top fuel and supercalibre for trails, training and occasional marathon use.
"I want to absorb all of your pop culture"

ezno

by ezno

Tallboy wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:12 am
Interesting that you sold your top fuel and kept this. Do you race or is this just for trail riding?
I'm debating between a top fuel and supercalibre for trails, training and occasional marathon use.
The top fuel is like riding a Cadillac, but after riding the super caliber it's just so much lighter and quicker and a lot more responsive. Most of my trails are hiking single tracks with very extreme climbs, the top fuel was just too heavy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com