Sram xx1 Dub crank problem or not?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nhr89

by nhr89

Honestly... since I broke my crankset before, now I'm more in to looking and cleaning the cranks more often. Sram XX1 DUB Eagle cranks

To be honest, I didn't look at them at the time I received them but last week and I was taking them out to clean off grit and so, I removed the preloader and when looking closer I watched some marks... that maybe are normal or not, but for a product of this price... looks kinda weird the aspect... but maybe sloppy production.

I noticed a lump on the carbon but that lump on the picture isn't something I can pressure and see it moving to be honest. Looks like solid under that lump. And then when I was looking more carefully I saw all that "points" around the crank spindle on the non drive side...

What do you guys think?

The store and me too, though it would only be sloppy production, but wanted to be sure.

I don't really want to send the cranks back only to find out it is normal.

Some pictures attached.
Attachments
the "points"
the "points"
lump
lump

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

I'd worry the bearing marks on the axle much more than the lump and points. What is the BB?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

nhr89

by nhr89

The "great" sram dub bottom bracket for bb92... only If I knew at the time :(

Already tried to use the bbinfinite module...and although the ceramitech bearings lasted a lot longer then the sram dub ones, it was like 6-8months only for a lifetime warranty. The sram one's last about 3months before I get them to creak. The bbinfinite module is gone, because I had to remove it for frame recall, and the thing didn't deal well with hammer system that bbinfinite indicated as method for removal... Basically the lip part, deformed, even though the hammering was being done to the other side. Whatever, they didn't covered it by warranty for whatever reason...

Although I know things should last way longer... the abuse I give them, isn't easy. 85-95kg's(depending on the time of year eheheh) plus high power numbers(ftp around 420W and beeing better at shorter(up to 8mins) power, gives you an idea, and as much irregular terrain I can get... isn't easy on the bike...basically my wallet doesn't like it very much...

But... would like an alternative that wouldn't be the sram dub bb or the bbinfinite...

The marks on the axle are only still minimal(doesn't feel any irregularity, but I have my eyes on it too.

carbonazza

by carbonazza

After fighting for a BSA BB for my next build, I'll unfortunately get a BB92 :(
In my quest to find some solutions, I looked at aliexpress to find some cheap alternatives.

I ordered that one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001469468870.html
That has apparently a plastic sleeve between the bearing and the shaft, if I remember well BBInfinite had this for GXP cranks.

And this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000307787243.html
As I have the Hope 30 to 29mm adapter already. Again this will be alloy adapter on alloy shaft, which is better than steel.

I don't remember if the SRAM one has as well a plastic interface.

02GF74

by 02GF74

I have multiple Sram carbon cranks, x01 and XX1, and not noticed anything like that.

If it doesn't interfere with the BB then it is cosmetic, but pretty crappy since these chainsets are not cheap.

If the shop you bought them from is happy to exchange then do that else just file or grind off the lump, touch up the area with clear lacquer.

nhr89

by nhr89

I'm waiting on a reply from the Sram service center to see what they think of that.

After checking the drive side crank yesterday, it is so well finished, that is hard to not think that something gone wrong there...

And my afraid is a bit of supported with the cranks that I had before that got warrantied because it failed in a way I never though was possible. Lack of epoxy or bad use, is what I think it was. you can check in the photo below.

Anyway, this one was the new one SRAM sent me, but now I'm always checking for problems, since that image makes me wanna change the brand... only If I didn't bought a powermeter for it ehehehhe.
Attachments
upssss
upssss

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com