Light, Durable ~30mm inner rims?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Nejmann

by Nejmann

How do you find the weareone? And why not there model in 30mm?

I'm in the marked for new wheels.. can't decide on

Weareone
Enve 525/630
Dt swiss xmc/xrc 1200

The we are ones really get the praise..

long19000

by long19000

The DUKE LUCKY JACK SLS3 6TERS 30 is about to come out. 30mm inner and 330g. Definitely worth to wait a bit IMO.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeDuke

by LeDuke

long19000 wrote:The DUKE LUCKY JACK SLS3 6TERS 30 is about to come out. 30mm inner and 330g. Definitely worth to wait a bit IMO.
That’s frighteningly light for a rim that wide.

I saw their releases on IG; they still have a dozen new products to release.

Edit: If you do a Google search for Duke Crazy Jack SLS3, a product page pops up. Interesting. As of right now, it's only the heavy, reinforced/consolidated version, but it looks like they might have a new version of the Crazy Jack coming, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by LeDuke on Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Nejmann wrote:How do you find the weareone? And why not there model in 30mm?

I'm in the marked for new wheels.. can't decide on

Weareone
Enve 525/630
Dt swiss xmc/xrc 1200

The we are ones really get the praise..
I love their "Revive" model. It's 25mm wide internally, and 345g. I'm planning on riding in places where I'll be 10 miles from the nearest dirt road, and even further from cell phone reception. I want both a wider AND beefier rim, within reason. But, their wider rims are 27mm wide at 425g and 30mm wide at 495g. Too narrow and too heavy, respectively.

Aside from the XMCs, which I believe have ~450g rims, the heaviest individual rims I’m looking at are NOBL TR36 which are 30mm wide interally at 443g, but they’ll pick lighter ones out for you and you can get rims that are as light as 430g. That might be the way I go. There's also the Duke Crazy Jack F/R, which might be getting updated soon.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I ended up going the "safe" route: DT Swiss XMC 1200 Spline 30s. Bought them on R2 last night; they are backordered until sometime this month.

A couple of reasons. As I described earlier, I have some plans to do a good bit of riding in some very remote areas. I want to be able to trust my equipment, and not think about anything other than the riding. I've ridden the XMCs on demo bikes before and they are super solid wheels.

The other reason I went with them is that I live two shipping days away from DT Swiss USA here in CO. Meaning, if I were to break a rim, I could ship my wheel to them and have it back, rebuild with a new rim and spokes, inside a week. With Duke or various other brands, that's not happening. I've had great customer service experiences with DT Swiss USA in the past and expect that will continue to be the case.

kaptanpedal

by kaptanpedal

Looks like DUKE Lucky Jack SLS3 6TERS is already in stock at some sellers:
https://www.bike24.com/p2462134.html

30.5mm and 330gr. Could be a real option if accurate.

stoney

by stoney

That is really light for a 30mm rim. What kind of warranty do they come with?

LeDuke

by LeDuke

stoney wrote:That is really light for a 30mm rim. What kind of warranty do they come with?
When last I checked Duke was 30% off a new rim.

That was a huge reason for me to go with DT Swiss. They are semi-local and I’ll have a rebuilt wheel (new spokes and rim) in under a week for $249, including shipping.

kaptanpedal

by kaptanpedal

More stores have stock now.
30mm 330gr
28mm 310gr

Hard to beat.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

kaptanpedal wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:34 pm
More stores have stock now.
30mm 330gr
28mm 310gr

Hard to beat.
I'd want to see some long term reviews. A 330g, 30mm internal carbon rim is VERY light and I'd suspect has some compromises in terms of durability.

kaptanpedal

by kaptanpedal

Probably in the same ball park with other rims in this category. There are others with similar stats like 28mm and 320gr etc. This one is from a reputable producer at least on paper.
These are strictly xc rims so will not survive actual mountain biking :) And will not be very rigit for heavy riders.

rapsac

by rapsac

kaptanpedal wrote:Probably in the same ball park with other rims in this category. There are others with similar stats like 28mm and 320gr etc. This one is from a reputable producer at least on paper.
These are strictly xc rims so will not survive actual mountain biking :) And will not be very rigit for heavy riders.
When I look at videos with World-cup XC race coverage it sure does look like actual mountain biking to me. But I am easily intimidated ;-) And just what these rims are made for (and used at). Obviously the riders have a better crash replacement policy than 30% off but still...

kaptanpedal

by kaptanpedal

Not many superlight rims in there. Lots of burly dt swiss xcm etc are used. Many of them are very light riders and capable of protecting their equipment.
Pro xc is nothing compared to a 90kg hobby rider bombing down an s3 trail.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I'm not European XCO pro, but I'm light, strong and relatively skilled. But, if I'm out on the Colorado Trail and 20km from the nearest dirt road at 3,000m+, I need more confidence in my equipment than a 320g, 30mm internal rim can provide. Unless there has been some monumental shift in the materials and processes that enables that rim to equal or surpass something like the XMC 1200, I have to go with the rim that is rated for ASTM 4 conditions.

kaptanpedal

by kaptanpedal

LeDuke wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:57 pm
I'm not European XCO pro, but I'm light, strong and relatively skilled. But, if I'm out on the Colorado Trail and 20km from the nearest dirt road at 3,000m+, I need more confidence in my equipment than a 320g, 30mm internal rim can provide. Unless there has been some monumental shift in the materials and processes that enables that rim to equal or surpass something like the XMC 1200, I have to go with the rim that is rated for ASTM 4 conditions.
Clearly not a customer.
These are targeting mtb marathons, hobby nice bikers and xc racers. If you brake one in these environments so be it.
I would get 28mm ones once races start again and stocks normalise. And once dt swiss exp issues clarified :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com